Talk of another new S&W Magnum

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Tony Mig, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

There has been talk of another new S&W magnum. This new round will likely be called the .460 S&W Magnum, and will be sized and chambered at .452. The brass is supposed to be slightly longer than the 500 S&W Magnum, and the gun will be built on the new "X"-frame. This new revolver will be able to fire .45 Colt, .454 Casull, along with the .460 S&W Magnum.

From what I've read, tests so far have 200 gr. bullets traveling 2,350 fps, out of an 8" barrel. SAAMI pressures are in the 65,000psi range, and the felt recoil is supposed to be half of the 500 S&W Magnum.

This gun should have many advantages, being able to fire 2 established rounds (.45 Colt / .454 Casull), plus one new round (.460 S&W Magum), with bullet weights ranging from 200 grs. to 400 grs., and a wide variety of powders. Being able to shoot anything from the mildess .45 Colt cowboy action loads, up to 400 gr. nuclear missiles.

It's debut is set for Shot Show 2005 in January, and will likely be offered in the long barrel version first, followed with a Performance Center model, a Lew Horton exclusive, then the 4" model.

I've been debating as to what my next large caliber wheel gun will be, it's between a .44 Magnum, or a .454 Casull. I've been leaning towards the .454 Casull since I already reload .45 Colt, but this new model S&W sounds like it has potential.

If anybody has any more information on this new magnum round and gun from S&W, please include it here.....
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Oh God! Here we go again! Another "perfect sidearm for elephant hunting". ;)

Why not just get yourself a nice .600 Nitro Express, cut the barrels down to 8", take off the stock and add a pistol grip.......and be done with it? :D
  3. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Would this be like a "howdah revolver?" :D
  4. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I think this is what S&W should have done instead of the 500 Magnum. Ruger comes out with the .480 Ruger, and the only thing it will fire is the .480 Ruger...... :rolleyes:

This new .460 S&W Magnum will handle 3 different loads, two established loads that are already popular (.45 Colt / .454 Casull), plus their new load.
    Kind of like buying a .357 Magnum and being able to shoot a variety of .38 Spl's, .38 +P's, and .357 Magnums. You buy a .44 Magnum, and you have the option of shooting .44 Spl's also. A .480 Ruger will only shoot .480 Ruger, a 500 S&W Magnum will only shoot 500 Magnum......

To me it's a much better idea than coming out with some new super round that's exclusive.
  5. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

Keep your ears open for talk of the new Smith and Wesson XVR (Extreme Velocity Revolver)

I have pics of the new round compared to the 500 S&W Mag, I just can't get them to add to my post. I'll try again later.