Talkin' about Hogs...

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/19/02 3:58:11 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All
    ezSupporter
    Talkin' about Hogs...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All this hog talk reminds me of a hog hunt I had the pleasure to be on back in '89, when we had our big store on Maxey Rd here in Houston. We had a number of guides and outfitters working out of the store, so we would occasionally get freebie "tag-along" hunts and fishing trips. Some were crap, but most were really great - South Texas whitetail, dove hunting in Mexico, bass on Lake Fork, trout off the Chandelier Islands, etc. Good times.

Anyway, one really cold January morning my buddy and I were hunkered down just west of Jourdanton, TX on a 6000-acre ranch known for monster hogs. We had scouted the area the day before and found a likely spot with heavy hog sign, then built a scrap-brush ground blind about 60 yards out. We had gotten there about 4am to make sure we didnt disturb the hogs if they were out early, and we were both chilled to the core.

James (he's dead now, damned cancer) was armed with a 6" Model 629 and I had a prototype custom Ruger SBH we were building for a big Ruger distributor here in Houston. I had built some loads with Hornady's 260gr flat point that were tremendous. I dont remember how much 2400 was under there, but it was a bunch. About 45 minutes before daylight the grunting started and it sounded like an entire army of pork. As black became gray we could make out about 30 pigs working the patch, with one big old boar standing a good foot taller than the rest. Even with the weak light we could easily see the glint from the tusks at 60 yards.

I eased into a solid shooting position and thumbed the hammer back on the Ruger. It seemed like forever before the big boy gave me a clear shot, in fact James was just whispering "You gonna shoot?" when I tripped the trigger against its stop. Even over the muzzle blast we could hear the bullet hit flesh and the boar went straight up into the air, but came down running! We made it over to where he was hit, just a slight blood spray. Now it was a job for the dogs.

The ranchowner has several great pig dogs and he brought two, plus a Dan Wesson .357 Magnum. The chase was on. This part of the ranch was cut into senderos, which means about 50 yards of clear row, then you get the nastiest mess of mesquite and wait-a-bit thorn possible. We trailed that hog all morning. He'd bay up, then bolt when the dogs got close. Finally, the time between bays got shorter and shorter and we knew the showdown was close. Of course, the hog picked the absolute thickest part with only one way in and one way out, both crawling. I crawled through to set up on the escape route, while James went in with the ranchowner and the dogs. Shortly there were two quick pops from the Dan Wesson, all hell broke loose, and what sounded like a Model 629 in machine-gun mode.

Seems the old pig was playing possum when the ranchowner put two into the side of his head with the .357. The pig then jumped up and took off, straight at James. James said he was backpedaling and shooting so fast he had no clue where he was hitting the pig. Turns out he blew one forefoot half off, hit it in the chest once, and one right through the top of the head at under 10 feet (which did the trick).

Hog weighed 400 pounds. When we cleaned him, we found my Hornady lodged under the skin on the opposite side after demolishing the liver and one lung. The ranchowners 125JHP's were flattened out against the skull, just under the skin. I guess if there is a moral to hog hunting... bring enough gun.

Good times and good folks.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Kimber and Wilson Combat Master Dealer

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/19/02 10:05:11 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Talkin' about Hogs...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Liver and one lung gone - still runs and fights dogs all day! That was one mean porker, Doc!

Shot a couple of feral hogs down near Bracketville years ago, when on a deer hunt. Some of the best eating I ever tasted. Took one with a .243 Win, the other with a Ruger .44 Mag carbine. Both laid down and died sorta quickly. Head shots on both.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/20/02 8:44:12 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Talkin' about Hogs...
    There's nothing like getting up close and personal with something that wants to kill you as much as you want to kill it (or more).

The funniest part was that afternoon, listening to James in the bathroom pulling those long hooked thorns out of his butt. Seems he caught more than a few of them while he was trying to get away from the critter... flattened a 20' area...

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Kimber and Wilson Combat Master Dealer

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/20/02 11:39:30 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Talkin' about Hogs...
    We don't have any of those critters up here. Dang! Sure sounds like a lot of fun huntin' them. Maybe someday ............

Good story, Doc.