Tannerite problem in indiana

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ryan42, Nov 7, 2012.

1. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

All over are news channels they had an NBC affiliate in indianapolis get ahold of a state senato and demonstrate what tannerite is and how its sold and used.My problem with it was then they showed on tv this is what it will do if we double it.Then they put it in a mailbox.If people didnt already have the bad ideas leave it to the news channel to teach you how to misuse and perfectly safe product if used correctly.To my knowledge we have had no reports of misuse in indiana.I want to Email my news channel but I need some help with the wording for my case.Anyone want to help me build the rebuttal to this news report as to why they shouldnt take it away from us?
  2. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

I'll help -

What is the name of the news channel? Do you want to send it in writing and/or post it on their website?
  3. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

go to wthr.com and its there top story.Theres a video as well.let me know after youve checked it out thanks
  4. WHSmithIV

I had to search their site for it - I'm guessing this is the story you want to send a rebuttal for:
    Senator wants to limit "easy access" to dangerous explosives

I also need to find out what exactly this product is to help you. I am not familiar with Tannerite so I know nothing about it - where do you normally buy it?
  5. WHSmithIV

I sent you a personal message with my e-mail address. You can e-mail me directly back

I am happy to help and I will write the rebuttal for you so that you can send it and/or post it. Just so happens that I'm pretty good at this kind of stuff ;)

Cheers,
    Will
  6. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Ive only seen it at gunshops and sporting good stores. You can buy different size targets. They are a exploding target.It has 2 parts.You have to mix them together to activate it.Then you have to shoot it with a rifle usaully .223 some will go off when shot with a .22 rifle. My biggest complaint with them is they were complaining about people misusing the product and the then the idiots start showing people how to misuse it.If they wanted to show the senator what it can do thats fine but dont do it on television and give kids ideas.Its just one more thing they want to make illegal.I have not heard of any accidents with this stuff in Indiana.
  7. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

First heard about Tannerite (exploding targets etc.) about five years ago. Couldn't help wondering how long it'd take some doofus to create an issue over it. Reckon I now have my answer.
  8. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

You got it.
  9. WHSmithIV

OK - I researched this and I can write a very good rebuttal that also proposes a compromise that will keep everyone happy (The politicians will love the compromise but it won't actually cause any real problem to those who want to buy the targets).

I only need to know how you want the rebuttal to be sent so I can help you know how to do so.

Cheers,
    Will
  10. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Tannerite is a binary exlposive. This means that it is made up of two inert ingredients that when mixed becomes volatile to an extent. It is basically made from ammonium nitrate and aluminum powder. The commercial stuff has a few other trace ingredients to make a little more theatrical. It is very stable and will only explode when impacted at aproximately 2000 fps. As a binary explosive, if unmixed, it can be shipped ups straight to your door with no problems. Also, until mixed, it is not considered an explosive, so you dont have to worry about big brother getting you. Once mixed, you had better use it on site, because it is classified then. It is typically used for long range shooting as a hit indicator. Although, I have seen a volkswagon blown up with it. :D
  11. RYANINMICHIGAN

RYANINMICHIGAN New Member

The stuff is just plain fun..
  12. coyote 270

coyote 270 Member

Well, I can see I better order some more while I can, jeeeez. In all the years we have used Tannerite as a "Target Marker", I have never heard of anyone using it in a "Threatening or Illegal" manner.
  13. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

even with the limited application, detonation method and whatnot.. I'm amazed atf allows it in civilian use.. I do realize there is an amount limit for use though.. but still...

the potential for mis use is asounding in the right (wrong) hands
  14. Rogeritall

Rogeritall Member

Swell... I never knew you could use it for blowing up mail boxes and other stuff. Leave it to the News to teach a bunch of punks the wrong way to use things. :/
  15. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Why doesn’t this surprise me?
    Given the predilection of the immature male mind for blowing things up it was bound to happen. I speak from experience as in my “youth” (I’m talking early teens) black powder and cannon fuse were available OTC to any one with the money. (If you didn’t have the money, chemistry sets of the period had much better stuff in them then do the current versions.) I spent many hours making models and then blowing them up. (Among other things.) Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your point of view, I outgrew this fascination. (Some do and some don’t.)
    Tannerite appears to be similar to a “Fuel Bomb” (fertilizer and Diesel fuel) in that it takes two benign products and make an explosive from them. I suppose that the only way to “control” access would be to put one of the ingredients on a controlled substance list. Didn’t they do that with large purchases of fertilizer for a while? I don’t know if that worked out or not.
    There’s lots of ”McGiverite” chemicals out there that anyone with a little knowledge, and the nerve to work with can make something destructive.