Tannerite problem in indiana

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ryan42, Nov 7, 2012.

1. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

My point exactly.Gasoline,deisel fuel,ammonia nitrate,fertilizer and the news isnt making a big deal over that.When the Oklahoma bombing happened they showed how to make the bomb on CNN.
  2. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Once saw a pretty impressive KABOOM! created using nothing more than a cup of flour, an empty 55 gallon drum, and a lit candle. As best I recall (this was 50+ years ago) it was part of a science class demo out on the ballfield in high school. Can't imagine what'd happen if some news organization tumbled onto this - photo ID and NICS check for 5lb. sacks of flour maybe?
  3. Rogeritall

Rogeritall Member

My God I hate Ignorant Knee Jerk news stories like that... Sshshhhhh Don't anybody tell the about Black Powder, or Smokeless Powders, and what a pound or two of them will do. I'd still like to be able to shoot my Muzzle Loader and do some reloading next year.

IDIOTS... I live in Indiana and haven't heard of a single event involving Tannerite so far... Stinking news making up news before it even happens. Now if someone does misuse it, they will be like... See, we told you so. When they're the ones telling people it's there to misuse.
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I wouldn't worry about WTHR. We've got a Republican governor and a super-majority in both chambers of the legislature.

Those sissy liberal POSes can show whatever they want. No one cares.
  5. Rogeritall

Rogeritall Member

Anyone who's ever seen a flash fire at a Grain Mill can attest to the power of dust in the air...
  6. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

yep.. dust explosions can be bad.

I've heard about it in drop ceilings with ac ducts and a chaffed wire.. never seen an ac duct exp.. mind you.. etc..
  7. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

Tannerite is cool stuff. I was amazed that you could buy the stuff when I found out about it. Since then a friend has been buying alot of it. ;)
  8. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

9. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

I should have the rebuttal written for you tonight and I'll PM it to you.
  10. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

I have two ice cream buckets of aluminum filings sitting on my workbench, been meaning to build a ball mill to reduce it in size ever further and make some "home brew" to use down at my buddy's place on his shooting lane but super-dry condition this summer made it seem to be a "not-so-good" idea, we even stopped shooting the steel core surplus ammo until we got some rain. I've seen some vids of guys blowing up assorted stuff with it, but I hate to clean up microwave parts and the life off the lane aftewards so we were just going to shoot small containers of it...maybe next year!
  11. WHSmithIV

Tannerite ban rebuttal:

To WTHR and the Indiana News Networks:

In rebuttal to your article on Nov. 7th 2012 for limiting access to Tannerite targets some facts are lacking as to their viability as explosive devices. These targets have been specifically designed as long range targets for sighting hunting rifles. You can not simply drop one of these and have it explode. You can't hit them with a sledgehammer and make them explode. No known cases of any crimes have ever been associated with these targets.

The very simple fact is that you actually have to shoot one with a bullet travelling at 2000 ft. per second to cause the target to show that it has been hit.

To consider this as a dangerous explosive is ludicrous at best. Common household chemicals using bleach that you can buy at your local grocery store are more dangerous.

Yes, if you take 3 of four of these targets and stuff them in a mail box, then stand CLOSE enough with a pistol to actually hit that mailbox they will explode. Please tell us how many criminals are going to stand within 50 ft. of the mailbox to shoot it? That is the effective range of accuracy for most pistols capable of delivering a 2000 ft. per second bullet.

I honestly think you folks really should leave this one alone. These targets are not available in Walmart. Only legal firearms owners will ever buy them and the legal firearms owners are not the criminal class - remember, legal firearms owners pass background checks from the FBI. The criminals don't buy anything from legal outlets. Criminals have MUCH better avenues to create explosives than the Tannerite targets can ever give them. They can do better with bleach and some drain cleaner - and they already know it.

Remember Timothy McVeigh? Tannerite could not possibly have created that Oklahoma bombing.

If you really think that access should be limited - fine - then limit the number of targets that can be bought at any given time and require recording of the ID of the person buying them. All you will be doing though is wasting time and taxpayer money.

Regards

(Your Name)
  12. WHSmithIV

We could add to this that if you stick one of the targets on the bottom of a gas tank of a car then create the 'magic' bullet that killed JFK you could conceivably shoot that magic bullet from a mile away, hit the moving car and have that bullet come up from under the ground, direct on target at 2000 FPS and make the Tannerite target explode which 'might' cause the gas tank to explode :) Of course- we'll have to create that magic bullet and a magic rifle to go with it......
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  13. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

WH, I like your thinking. Well said.
  14. Rogeritall

Rogeritall Member

15. WHSmithIV

Hmm - I do think they'll have trouble banning it, and even if they did manage to, people could drive over the state line and buy the targets there. I also think that if the targets get banned, that the company that makes them should a) file an appeal and b) sue the state for lost revenue.