Tannerite?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Country101, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Hey guys. After a long period away, I've come back.

I've been looking into some tannerite, but want to use it in a little differant application. I want to use it with pistol ammo in small charges, if possible. I like the thought of a small bang when you hit what you are aiming at. Does anybody know if this is possible or of another type of safe/legal explosive is suitable to use with the slower pistol rounds?
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

have you been away so long because you have been hospitalized and recovering from your last experiment?

Dunno if id put anykind of EXPLOSIVE on my bullet that wasnt intended to be there. I know they do make exposive targets that you mix up, set at a distance, and shoot and watch them explode. they are SAFE but are a little expensive...
  3. Country101

Country101 Active Member

LOL No, I havent been in the hospital.

And Tannerite doesnt go on the bullet. It's a binary explosive that you mix as a powder and shoot with a rifle. Very stable, but supposedly has to be hit with somehting going 1200fps. It is used mainly as long range indicators. I would like to figure out how to paste it on a target, but as far as I know it has to stay dry in a container.

I'm just looking for something to make shooting a little more interesting.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

OOOOOOOHHHHHHH, so it is very similar to those reactive exploding targets then. I thot you were putting it on the bullets and I was thinkin YIKES!
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  6. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Yeah, I've looked at those targets recently, but they are way too expensive and I want to be able to custon make the targets, according to what I'm doing.

Carver, would the impact detonate the BP? I dont think it would set it off.

However, for a fun little experiment, get a tennis ball and 2 boxes of strike anywhere matches. cut a hole in the tennis ball and clip all the heads off the matches and stuff them in. Duct tape the whole ball pretty good and take a toss at a wall or something. :D You might find pieces of the ball several yards away. Pretty harmless, but fun. Where safety glasses.
  7. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Country,

I am pretty sure that the pistol rounds will not detonate tannerite, especially at any range.

I don't know of any suitable alternatives, but please let us know if you come up with any. I would be interested in them, too!
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Country101 have you tried exploding bullets? I bought some at a local gun show in .22LR, and 7.62X39. The .22's are not that great, but the larger bullets are a hoot!
  9. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

LOL
  10. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Carver, I think the exploding bullet idea would be fun, but not quite what I am looking for here. Aw, heck, anything that explodes would be fun. :D Dont know that I have ever seen any exploding bullets though.
  11. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

the tannerite recipie

here it be ..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  13. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I might try making some of my own, but not really expecting it to work too good if the ammonium nitrate is coated. If it doesnt work, I'll use it on the flowers..... Ammonium nitrate should be easy enough to get around here at the coop.

Jack, Have you tried it, or just found that somewhere?
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i use it a lot actually my range is a tad long ( 1800 meters) so hitting can size targets can create tension especially when theres a few cases of beer wagered , the Tannerite removes all doubt and save that awful long walk between each shot that sometimes happens unless you hit the can in a way it flies .. each hit , you know about

balloons with corn flour in it was my previous reactive target .. tannerite is waaaaay better
  15. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I was asking specifically about making your own. If so, do you go through the trouble of having to "clean" the ammonium nitrate?