Tap o Cap down under

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by jack404, Oct 9, 2010.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

well i arrived at the girlies this morning and looky what was there waiting for me , a lovely tool called a Tap o Cap

the hard thing here is now finding a supply of the paper cap's but a quick call to a mate in china town has that sorted , so i have a carton of caps on the way ( 10 boxes of 6 packets of 5 rolls of 50 caps or 15,000 caps , you think i got enough ? live here a while and you'll think not..)

so after a hour i got the first coke can sorted , and it made over 100 caps to the can ! not bad eh

when the caps arrive Tuesday or Wednesday i'll post how i go with these

i'll try single double and triple loads and see what works best

Many thanks to oftig , just one thing though , tell me what you want for this , ( PS i got the permit friday so pheeeww, told you the paper work stuff here was slow)

never mind about the date , it goes nutz everytime i remove the batteries

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  2. ofitg

ofitg New Member

Jack, great news! I was afraid it might get snagged by your customs people.

A big thanks to you for your service in Cambodia, from me and my KAF friends. You don't owe me anything.

Can you get "strike anywhere" kitchen matches there? I had good luck with the igniter tips from those "strike anywhere" kitchen matches - I cleaved them off the match heads with a razor blade, and glued them into the aluminum cups with droplets of nail polish.

It might even be a good idea to add another droplet of nail polish on top of the igniter tip, after you anchor it in the cup - just for waterproofing - it might remain serviceable for years.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

hmmm theres a idea but with a twist i may try another solution i can make my own picriate ( the strike anywhere match ends are picriate ) but do you have bird of paradise plants there? i have seen em outside the army base in NC ( Fort Bragg sp?)

when the flowers are just about done cut them off and put into boiling water with some salt boil for a few minutes and remove and add more, when your done let it cool and you'll see a film forming a wooden spoon will get all this off

this is gum ( bolian gum not gum arabic) this is water proof and dry's clean and clear
    the indigenous folks here used it to mount spear heads and to glue stone axes to the shafts and is as good as many modern epoxies if fiddly for small jobs

more idea's

one day my brain will explode while i'm reading posts here for sure ..

cheers and thanks again eh
  4. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

Ok I give up. Is it some form of a primer maker?
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Don't know what a "Tap-O-Cap" is, or what it's used for! Please explain this one for us that don't have a clue!
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Its a die to make your own percussion caps

punch and form a section of aluminium can

add some cap pistol caps

and you have a number 11 cap ( to fit most percussion rifles and pistols )

not bad eh

i'll add the caps as soon as i get some and use a old grease nipple on a board i'm rigging to show and test the spark to show you to compare to bought ones
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  7. rammed

rammed New Member

Do you have trouble getting caps in OZ. Seems like lot of work.
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i googled that rascal as i had no clue, they are inexpensive.. maybe i'll pick one up for when i get into bp arms
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

all ammo here is always under threat , and why i went into BP in a big way , as for some reason the government did not think BP firearms a real worry , thinking that only aboriginal folks and a few weirdo's (like me) still used them.

i've been mainly a flint lock person since then and heard my cap shooting friends complain how much caps have gone up, when they are available ...
    so stayed away from percussion cap rifles

but now i can make my own i'm going to invest in some BP firearms that i've always admired but thought impractical for our anti gun nazi state

my goal is to be able to drop off the grid , be 100% self reliant in all things i can be
    and flint locks allow me to do this , now i'm able to make caps , this extends my capabilities A LOT , in fact it opens a big door for me here.
    i truely beleive one day the anti's will come for all the guns and thats the day i'll go bush and stay there , so i'll need to be able to make everything from that day on

i was able to do this with flinters , and now i can do it with cap shooters too
  10. johnlives4christ

i hope that day doesnt come anytime soon friend
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

working on making sure it never comes, but i always have a plan "B" ( and c,d,e...)
  12. jestor

jestor New Member

13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Cheers mate, but it's another item blocked here so i can see the google reference and front cover but i have to be a paid member to veiw inside ( youtube has many similar block's) but the Krag used the same primers as the then .45 cal pistol round and i have that formula here

the glass crystals used in the original mix i replace with paper pulp that i nitrate ( nitro cellulose) as this makes it a tad less corrosive and more stable and a touch hotter

but there is no need for hotter primers for black powder especially if you make a sweet mix ( sugar or dex ) so the cap gun caps ( a mix of amorphous phosphorus, antimony sulfide and sulfur) will work just fine

but i shall do a side by side test with some nipples mounted on a board with some flash powder under the board , by raising the board incrementally to where one lot will not ignite the flash powder will show what works best

give me a couple days to get the cap and some real # 11 caps and i'll test em side by side and try to show you all whats what

but thanks for the link ( even though it dont work here , its still a good idea )
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

he he he

these are Taiwanese ( wont buy chinese if i can do anything to avoid it, why support communists??)

at least they are a democracy and sorta allies

i've a case coming from the US and another case coming from Taiwan so i should have enough for a while soon

i'm still trying to figure this testing board but the eyedropper with some nitrated cellulose gum works well, so i have quite a few options for what to use in these caps

Attached Files:

15. johnlives4christ

i need to get me a digital scale like that jack
  16. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Jack, those appear to be simple cap pistol rolls.
    We used to get them for our cap guns, and fold the charges back and forth over a needle. Then we'd smash 'em with a big rock for added affect.:D

Back then, it was pennies a roll. Now they're primers for smoke sticks?:eek:

Next on your banned list?
  17. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Caps are pyrotechnics here and so they are pushing to use those plastic moulded 8 shot ( non flash !!! ) caps and remove all the roll caps but it aint law yet but they are very hard to find so i went to a toy wholesaler who had 10 packs , and the importer and the online wholesaler for a US made brand and bought a case from them too , people wont stock them as the new "standard" in cap guns has been sold here now for about 15 years

so by stocking up now yeah i hope to dodge future changes and shortages

i'm a flintlock fan because i can make all myself , but now that i can make my own percussion caps easy i'm looking to expand that a tad...

another delivery and another pic, i was just typing when the courier lady arrived

looky what she brung me

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  18. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

I've just wrapped the case in a layer of bubble wrap and silica gel and wrapped that in industrial pallet wrap and heat shrunk it air tight , so that should be good for 30-50 years

i've 10 packets of that brand to test from another place to play with until the US stuff arrives

so far with single loads i've had 100% firing rate

with double loads i've had 100% too ( i've had a ball eh ! ;) )

but have not tested spark really yet

i'll do that tonight up in the bush a way's and not annoy the neighbours and i'll see the spark better too

i'm going to test some i put some alcohol on with a eye dropper a hour or so ago and are now drying

i've found alcohol precipitated Black powder burns a bit more furiously ( faster, thereby hotter) so i wonder what this will do .. ( as i dont exactly know what in is these caps unlike the US brand , they told me vial email..)

if i can get pic's of the flash test i'll post em , but my luck with pic's aint great
  19. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

I've come to realise this Tap O Cap gadget has one big draw back its tough on the hands

i've found mallets are tad harsh and make the pressed caps hard to get out

but a nice constant press or a few tap with the hand is excellent

just hard on your hands to do a few hundred or so

so i looked online and found this

YEAH!!

Attached Files:

20. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

John get one that does triple decimal points in metric 10th of grain in grains and weights

some loads and mixes on them disks worked on in Australia and south africa come in grams not grains

radio shack has a pretty good one cheap

i bought a aussie one as they actually make something here!!!

its a wedderburn scales digiweigh $70 AUD

i have a very good but larger one for black powder working

it will do 5 pound to the 10th of a grain but that was $400

but they improve everything on reloads

my old spring scales fudged it a bit either way often but it is dusty here so maybe its environment too

but 10th grain resolution you want for reloading and one that can zero when you add your pour cup and weight the powder in the pour cup

i've a few wooden blocks drilled to take 50 of the rounds i fill one case and pass it to the next block , weigh , pour, transfer 50 times and repeat :D

with interruptions from the laptop ;)