Tape on non dominant lens

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by TTUshooter, Nov 11, 2007.

1. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

Hey everyone. I just wanted to pose a question to y'all. In many of the IDPA and USPSA matches i've been in i've seen guys with a pieces of tape on the lens to obscure the vision of the non dominant eye. Do any of y'all do this and what are its advantages. I imagine it has something to do with acquiring the front sight faster. But i'd like to hear what y'all in TFF land have to say on this.
  2. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

You can buy clip on blinders that some use on their glasses or attach to their hat brim.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

About the only way to tell if that works for YOU is to try it. It works for some, not for others.

Pops
  4. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

A little off topic (not uncommon for me)...I'm in the process of ordering "Shootin Spec's" from Morgan Optical...When I shoot (and it looks kind'a like Clint Eastwood) there might be a need for "Insoluble Fiber" in my diet...;)
  5. williamd

williamd New Member

You can also be trained to use both eyes even if cross dominant. Know a guy who does this for police forces. It works!
  6. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I've taped up the entire lens for our Jr. shooters who can't close their non-dominate eye. It works very well. We now keep two dedicated pair of shooting glasses with taped lenses at the range. Some of our beginning adult pistol shooters have used them also.

Like armedandsafe says, try it for yourself.
  7. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

People need to train using both eyes open. Especially in IDPA and IPSC. Lots giong on you can't see with only one eye.