Taper crimp question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by KING64, Jul 19, 2007.

1. KING64

KING64 New Member

There is probably a simple answer to this but at the present time it is a ? to me. Having just returned to reloading after a long absence and not having loaded straight wall cases before......how do you determine if you have placed enough taper crimp on .45 ACP. I have read and followed direction both in the RCBS material and the Sierra loading manual but I am still somewhat questioning if I am placing enough or not enough taper crimp. At present I am loading Sierra 8800, 185 gr. JHP in new Winchester brass.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

1955pirate:

I have found that if you set up the seating die (also the crimp die in most die sets) per the instructions you get the right amount.

Typically the second die will bell the mouth of the case so that a bullet will partially enter the case. When the seating/crimp die is set up correctly all of the belling will have been removed and the very end of the case will be a few thousands smaller in diameter than the case area behind the crimp. But as I said before I find just following the instruction all that is necessary to get the correct crimp.

If you are confused on how to do that then I'd be glad to give a blow by blow process. Just ask.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  3. Daniel Boon

Daniel Boon New Member

I suggest you use a taper crimp die. its one more step in the process, but it has served me well. if the O A L is ok, just run the die up and the bullet should crimp. its kind of a feely thing. just takes practice I guess. use a quality crimp die.
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Adjust the taper crimp die until the case mouth measures .469" after the crimp. That will be the correct crimp with a taper die.

IPT
  5. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Is it ABSOLUTELY necessary to taper crimp a .45 acp? The reason I ask is in the 80s when I shot IPSC everybody said to taper crimp, mainly to insure function, even though a lot of manuals said not to or discouraged it, so I did all of mine then, especially since I had an extra space on my Pacific progressive press.

BUT when I just got back after almost 20 years into loading for my .45 again after I rebuilt it, I couldn't remember how to set the depth on the TC die, (partsheimers?;) ) and I decided to try a few hundred rounds WITHOUT taper crimping....and I see no difference, and have yet to have the first FTFeed with it....

SOoooo...is it REALLY necessary?

Now, my throat and feed ramp are so smooth and seamless it feeds empty cases, so I'm wondering if the "TC for function" wasn't intended for reloading for stock guns with stock feedramps and throats?
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2007