target picture

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/28/02 5:17:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All
    ezSupporter
    target picture
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Did this today with my M1 Garand. range was 105 yards. The black is 8" across. The two fliers really chapped my ass. I could not even see the orange in the middle to I was happy with everything inside 8" except those 2 fliers. I might go in and get a new prescription and new glasses and see what it can do.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/28/02 5:54:14 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: target picture
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TMC!!!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/28/02 9:36:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: target picture
    Whats that mean? I am kinda slow on Tesas acronyms

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/28/02 10:22:50 pm)
    TOO MUCH COFFEE

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/29/02 4:49:24 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Mountain Dew

The problem is that I cannot see the target at that range. I can make out the black but it looks very tiny. To try and hold the front sight post center mass on the black is near impossible as it looks so small.

I was using a rest and I aim at the target and start at the bottom with a view of the black center, I then bring the front sight up to the middle of the black but then the black is obliterated from view. I cannot see the orange dot at all with the naked eye at 100 yards let alone looking through a peep sight.

I refuse to put a scope on my military guns, some things just ain't natural.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/29/02 7:23:32 am)
    Pig, you might try this. I was taught, using peeps...the target should look like a frying pan. The black should rest on top of the front sight. This way, you see the complete black ring and can center it above the front post. That way, you can bracket it...above the front sight for centering. LTS

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/29/02 10:02:23 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    not a bad idea LTS. I see how that could work. Then just adjust the rear sight higher by a few inches and I should be in the middel of the black.

Thanks

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/29/02 10:15:36 am)
    EXACTAMUNDO

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/29/02 10:33:10 am)
    Same concept as "pumpkin on a fence post".

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/29/02 12:31:59 pm)
    Them "punkins on a fence post" is fun. That's only reason to grow 'um.

Smoky the punkin killer

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/29/02 2:31:18 pm)
    Look on the bright side - with a group spread like that, you're not doing anything obviously wrong.

Marines taught me to bounce my focus from sights to target, get the sight alignment and sight picture correct, then focus on the front sight post for the final squeeze (everything else blurry). Worked great for me with an M16A2, still working great with everything else, even with a slight nearsightedness creeping in.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (8/29/02 6:52:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Good shootin WP, the orange bull outer circle on this one
    was 6-inches in diameter, I shot it at 100yds in the
    same manner you did, no scope. I used my .3006 U.S.
    Enfield (P-17) as some refer to it.

I use the method somewhat as LTS described, I center in
    the peep, then place the lolly pop on the stick just barely
    above the 6-O'clock position on the bull.

I'm gonna do the Garand and several others over the next
    week or so, it will be interesting to see the difference in
    them. The florecent targets do help a lot though.
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/29/02 7:14:27 pm)
    Best way to practice and less walking, shoot at 25 yards.

Mark a 1"x1" square. Black square on white background or visa-versa. When you can place ten shots in it (IN IT, not around it) and do it consistely.....move to 100 yards. You will amaze yourself. LTS

Tac401
    Administrator
    (8/29/02 8:38:01 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    That's about the size my target looked at 100yds. Don't
    think I'd be able to see a 1X1 at 100yds!

Just funnin LTS!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/30/02 2:48:50 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del I got one word for you guys!
    SCOPES! You boys need some scopes.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/30/02 3:25:14 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: I got one word for you guys!
    scopes are for sissies