Target powder?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/11/02 12:22:17 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Target powder?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've been using nothing but Bullseye for loading .45's. My goal is tighter groups, shooting paper @ 15 yards...I trim my brass, weigh my powder, play with COL, ect, in my search for this "one hole group"...

Does anyone think I should play around with different powders? This could get expensive, but I could always use the "lesser achieving" powder for plinking later.

Thanks for your opinions.
    ~-~I'm your huckleberry.~-~

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/11/02 3:31:14 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Target powder?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I use both bullseye and unique.
    If you are getting good groups now then why bother.

The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (5/11/02 6:41:05 am)
    Donny, I've been using Winchester 231 powder for a long time and get excellent groups. Give it a try.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/11/02 6:43:24 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Target powder?
    Gotta agree with WW231. Very consistent powder and runs much more smoothly through a powder measure.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/11/02 8:46:44 am)
    I had excellent results with Red Dot a 200 gr SWC and longslide

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/11/02 1:35:19 pm)
    The above are all good powders - might throw Hodgdon H110 into the mix. Their new powders, Titegroup, etc are supposed to be cleaner burning. I've always used Unique and H110 for most of my handgun loads, tho. IMR 4756 for the ol' .41 Maggie.

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/11/02 2:11:43 pm)
    Okay guys this gives me a good amount to play with for now...I think I counted about 90 dollars worth of recomendations @ $20 a lb

Jeeper, the point is...I'm not happy with my groups...sadly, I know me, I probabally never will be.

THANKS!

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/11/02 2:19:15 pm)
    Donny, have you considered some ransom rest shooting?
    A better way of gauging your groups.
    Just an idea my friend

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/11/02 2:34:17 pm)
    What I do is take a foldup pic-nic table with me, and some towels, and build a rest with them...Country as heck, I know, but I gotta take one step at a time.

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/11/02 5:37:08 pm)
    Donny: I've tried quite a few and have found 231 to be very consistant. I, like you, could only be happy if they all fit one hole. I can group under 2in @ 25yds with 230gr using 231. That was shot free hand.

Not great but I've got old eyes.

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/11/02 6:48:56 pm)
    What I meant was trying to get that last tenth of an inch smaller group just isn't worth it unless you are shooting professional.
    I am happy to hit a 9 inch paper plate at 25 yds with my 1911a1. The gun is stock with the lousy militry sights and I am getting old and blinder by the day.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/12/02 1:53:35 pm)
    Jeeper, I suppose "it's all in what you want"...one hole groups is what I am after, and if I can play around and achieve this goal with a Colt Commander, 4 1/4" barrel, all factory, I'll be a happy man. My reloads have already yelded group sizes that most my shooting buddies cant keep up with, weather their shooting Kimber, Glock, or whatever...Now I want to see how much better it can get than that, I'd like to know exactly where every shot is going to go, if it ever came down to a life threating situation, I think this would be benifical as well, be the foe hog, or human.

Smoky
    Draw me a picture of what kind of gun your shooting there bro

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/13/02 9:22:54 am)
    Donny: I can't draw but I have a Kimber, box stock, and a Springfield that I've spent 5years tweeking on. I've screwed up some stuff but learned some great lessons at a relatively cheap price and burned up a whole bunch of powder in the process. As stated before 231 just seems to work as it measures real good through my Dillon.

Sorry to be so windy, but it's Monday, my normal shooting day, and I can't get out of the house today. BUMMER.

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/13/02 6:07:43 pm)
    Now you dont draw to bad...A good outline there What are the barrel lengths on those babies? (kinda let me know what your working with over there) This Springfield kinda has my attention...What kind of tweeking have you done on her?

I've considered having a barrel and bushing job done on the Colt, but Im determined not to start throwing money at it untill I've tried everything else.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/17/02 3:41:24 am)
    Don Quixote / I mean Henry, good luck with your 1-hole quest, but good luck without a rigid rest to lock the gun into. IMHO, you're just chasing your tail in circles, otherwise. But best wishes anyways.

Have had satisfaction with win231, dabbled with win296, used Unique for a long time, and actually started long ago using 700X in my .45ACP loads.

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/17/02 3:13:47 pm)
    Whose this quixote fella?
    And wherefor art thou faith?

LOL...Maybe I tend to try to make magic out of everything I do, for whatever reason...Maybe I should be happy with a nice group and just forget it, I know I'd build alot more bullets in less time if I didn't put each one under a microscope, but I'm never happy being less than perfect

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/18/02 9:21:19 am)
    Hey Donny: I found the perfect tool for that one hole search, a 45 cal pencil

Sorry to take so long to get back about the Springfield.
    I fitted the slide to the frame TIGHT. Too tight, then worked it loose with compound. I fitted a bushing to the stock barrel and tried that for a while then went with a Bar-sto. I was surprised how little the Bar-sto helped, I guess I happen to have a great stock piece. The trigger was done twice, did a full auto one trying to get the pull weight too low. This has all taken place over a period of years and has been as much theropy as anything else. I broke my leg in 3 places and was on the mend for almost a year so had time on my hands.

Don't be afraid to make a mistake as most can be fixed. I have a mechanical back ground, aircraft, so am able to tackle lots of stuff and know my own limitations. NOW IF I COULD ONLY GET SOME BETTER EYES.
    I do hope I was of some help. If the gun you have now won't shoot with MATCH ammo I try the barrel first.

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (6/24/02 3:55:32 pm)
    Donny, not trying to get off the subject, nut have you considered tuning your Colt a little? Match trigger, barrel and barrel bushing may improve your accurcery. Fit of the slide to the frame will make a considerable difference. Shoorer45 and AntiqeDr are a couple dang good smiths. I deal with both and totally trust both of them with my Colts. New sights for old eyes could incerase your sight picture as well. Just a thought!
    I suffer from occasional loss of mental stability, and become very violent with only slight provocation. The Veterans Administration has determined that both mental and physical harassment of my person may be hazardous to your health and well being. So stay away from my Donuts!!

BlackGUN

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/3/02 8:27:47 pm)
    Good idea BG...I currently have a couple of things I'd like for Doc to get his hands on anyway...After tring several more loads, I agree with you, I need to eliminate any possible waiver in the gun, then work on the load.