The Firearms Forum banner

target shooting with a .22

5K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Regular Joe 
#1 ·
What range do y'all shoot with your .22 iron sites and scope? With iron sites we have been shooting at 50 meters with decent results moved target to 75 meters not so good, think 75 meters with iron sites might be too much for a .22 or do we just need more practice.

#27 ·
I was referring to this, but now see that we pretty much agree after all.

I also tried some experiments where I just grabbed a handful of miscellaneous bullets and tossed them in a plastic baggie then loaded them without regard for what brand weight or bullet style they were. At 25 meters and to a lesser extent at 50 meters there wasn't a lot of difference between one and the other. To much over thinking about ammunition. Most of our guns and most of the ammo will shoot better than we will till you get down to serious bulls eye shooting.

#28 ·
I agree with that as well. In all of my time consuming tests, I've found that some ammo shoots better than the rest, but @ 50 yards, all of the HV stuff pretty much goes into the same 1.5" or so.
For getting a new shooter thru his first case of ammo, I think the real test is consistency. His interest and confidence stay high when each round is shooting very much like the previous one. Next most important is price. You don't want to call an end to the days' shoot because we ran out of hi-dollar fodder. CCI Blazer works better than Thunderbolt in anything I've seen firing both, and the cost is about the same. Another good cheapie is Federal Champion, in the 50 round box. Federal puts a load number on all of their stuff, and this one is "510" or the numbers "510" with a suffix letter.
50 yards is challenging enough for a new shooter. With iron sights, 75 really is a bit of a push, because after that, drop becomes much more obvious. I hope you're not just limited to paper(?) Shooting cheap HP's at things like key limes and small russet potatoes is a blast, or try ".22 golf", if you have a source of free used balls. Ice cubes. Ping pong balls. Get creative.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.