Targets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Donnie D, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Donnie D

Donnie D New Member

I was watching one of the shooting shows that I recorded last night, and I saw some really neat reactive targets. It was a type of Pepper Popper target. It consisted of a metal sillouette that would fall backward when hit and that would then launch a clay pigeon into the air. I haven't been able to find the exact target on line yet. Does anyone know where I could find this for sale?
    Thanks
    Donnie D
  2. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Active Member

You would probably have to find someone to make it. Top Shot doesn't buy their setups, they make them.
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok i saw this one on top shot-fill a can with water then put another empty can on top of it shoot the bottom can and the top one goes flying in the air and u can see if u can hit that one that was cool
  4. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Do you know what caliber they used to shoot the can,Im gonna try a .22 and see if how it works,sounds fun.
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

it was a .22
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

let me know will ya
  7. Donnie D

Donnie D New Member

I experimented yesterday trying to come up with a skeet flipper that should work with a regular Pepper Popper. I think I about have it figured out. Y'all keep me posted on the can thing. That sounds like fun as well.
    Thanks,
    Donnie D
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I got a problem with shooting anything in the air with a rifle in todays world! Too many people around anymore, in most areas. It would be OK in an area where you know you are the only person within miles of where you are shooting. Shotguns are a total different thing. I saw Patrick Flanigan (on tv) do the can of water trick with his Mossberg, and it worked very well.
  9. Donnie D

Donnie D New Member

I want to shoot it with my Snake Slayer. I'll shoot the bottom can with the .45 Colt and the one in the air with .410 bird shot.
    Donnie D:D
  10. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok Donnie let me know how u do
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok Donnie did u try it
  12. Donnie D

Donnie D New Member

Not yet, but I hope to tomorrow. That is if I can figure out how it works. I'm talkin about the can thing.
    Donnie D
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    It's easy Donnie! Just fill a can with water, and place an empty can on top. Shoot the bottom can, and the water will drive the empty can into the air so you can shoot it with the bird shot!
  14. Donnie D

Donnie D New Member

Thanks. I know this will sound like a dumb question, but is the lid completely removed from the bottom can?

Donnie D :D
  15. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i don't know for sure but i would assume so since u have the bottom of the top can covering it?
  16. Donnie D

Donnie D New Member

OK. I'm sure gonna give her a try tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. Sure looked like a ton of fun on the show.
  17. Donnie D

Donnie D New Member

OK guys, tried the can thing today, and it didn't work too well. I think the problem was with the thin metal aluminum ginger ale cans I used. I took the top off the bottom can and filled it with water, and set another empty can on top. Shot the bottom can with the Snake Slayer usin 000 buck, and it just destroyed the bottom can (cool though) and the top can didn't do nothin. Then I shot the bottom can with my Sig Mosquito .22 LR, and the top can went up abou 2 feet. I think I need to use some larger steel cans. But, not to worry. I've got a hankerin for some collards, and the canned ones aren't too bad, and I think the cans will be just right. Do you guys think I shoyld shoot the bottom one with the 000 buck and the top with the #8 sheet shot, or the bottom one with the .22 LR and the top one with the # 8 skeet? Let me know.
    Anyway, I took a couple of the other cans and filled them with water and threw them up in the air and shot them with the Snake Slayer using the #8 skeet shot. Busted them good. FUUUUUNNNNNN!:eek:

GITERDUUNNNN!!!

Let me know what you think

OH, by the way, later I picked up my shooting table (the gizmo with the resettable steel targets) and shot it and my dueling tree. Also tried out some of my homemade shoot-n-see targets. All of it worked great and I had a ball.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  18. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

He Beth Im gonna try your can trick tommorrow,Ill let you know how it works.
  19. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

hey Donnie it worked fine the way u did it but with the .22, so when u shot it with .22 did u then hit the top can before it hit the ground?
  20. Donnie D

Donnie D New Member

Nope, first time I shot the bottom can with the Snake Slayer using 000 buckshot and had the second barrel loaded with #8 sheet shot to shoot the top can, but all that happened was I totally destroyed the bottom can and the top one just fell to the ground.
    Second time I shot the bottom can with my Sig Mosquito .22 LR, and was gonna pick up the Snake Slayer and shoot the top one with the skeet shot, but the top can only went up about 2 feet, so I didn't have time to shoot it.
    So then I just filled the other 2 cans I had with water, threw them into the air, and shot them with the skeet shot. Busted them pretty good. Still had fun. I'll try again next time with steel collard cans. Bet it will work better.

Donnie D :D:patriotic: :AR15firing:

By the way, I'm trying to work out the details for a Pepper Popper target I'm gonna have a guy build for me. It is a steel sillouette about 40" tall that you shoot and when it falls backward it will launch a clay pegion into the air that you can shoot with bird or skeet shot. It will be awhile because I've spent too much on this stuff allready this week (gotta keep the wife happy), but I'll keep ya'll posted. I saw it on TV the other night and it looks like it'll be a hoot.

Donnie D
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012