Targets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Donnie D, Apr 7, 2012.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Donnie, I don't think the 000 Buck is going to work. It is destroying the bottom can before you get the hydraulic effect of the water going up pushing the upper can in the air. You need to expand on the .22 experience. Can you shoot a .45 Colt or a shotgun slug through you Snake Slayer? If so I think that might give you the effect you are after. I have never tried this but you are getting me interested. A high velocity small caliber I think would work best on the bottom can but I understand you are wanting to do it with the Snake Slayer so that option is out. Keep playing and keep us advised. On of our gang just got a new Judge and it would be fun to try this with that new pistol.
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Donnie the way they did it on top shot was with .22 hit the bottom can top one goes in air and shoot the top can with .22
  3. Donnie D

Donnie D New Member

Yep, I can load one barrel of the Snake slayer with .45 Colt and the other with the .410 skeet shot. I think that will be the way to go. I'll try that next.

Donnie D :D

Beth, I'm kind of scared to shoot a .22 LR into the air, too much range, plus I'd never hit the can with it in the air anyway. yuk yuk
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

then u will never be on top shot:lmao2:
  5. Donnie D

Donnie D New Member

That will be my project to work on for NEXT month. Gotta have somethin goin all the time you know. Only way to live.:D:dance::thumbsup::ya:

Donnie D :D:dancingdots:
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

use only .22's and let us know how long it takes u to do it, i know on the show they did not have much time to shoot that top can
  7. Donnie D

Donnie D New Member

I'll let you know how it goes next time. By the way, I've tried to find that episode of Top Shot on Youtube or elsewhere on the net. If you run across it how about post a link here.

Thanks,
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i have it taped at home i will let u know which one it was
  9. Donnie D

Donnie D New Member

Sucess.........sort of:

OK, had an old piece of plywood I needed to take to our "range" this morning. Decided I woud give the can thing another go, so I had two 14.5 oz steel bean cans and thought they might work better than the aluminum ginger ale ones. I grabbed the ole Snake Slayer and two .45 Colt cartriges and two .410 skeet shot shells to take with me.
    First shot with the .45 for the bottom can I completely miss. (remember Beth, my Top Shot audition won't be till NEXT month). Loaded another .45 in and recocked so that barrel would go first, and BOOM. Perfect! Top can went up maybe 12' to 15' , but I was so surprised that I got off the shot but missed. Now I'm kickin myself because I didn't bring more ammo.
    Well I had one more skeet shell left so I threw the other can and hit it this time. I can see this is gonna be a load of fun. I think I'm gonna try shooting the bottom can with my .22, and then pick up the SS and pop the top one. Bet I can pull it off, and it will be a lot cheaper. those .45 Colts go for about a buck a pop. You guys gotta try this!!

Donnie D :D :):dance::ya::thumbsup:
  10. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

video??? sounds like a youtube op to me. let us know.
  11. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Way to go Donnie but I am laughing at the image of what you just described. I would be laughing at my self if I tired it too but the way you told it was just a hoot.
  12. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

I was going to try the can trick last night but after I drank enough beer to have some cans I was in no shape to shoot. Maybe I will try again tonight if I can remember where I put all those cans.:D:D
  13. Donnie D

Donnie D New Member

The beer cans are probably aluminum and may be to thin walled. Might bust open to easily to build up pressure. Give her a try anyway. Might need to use some steel cans. Let me know how it goes.

Donnie D :D :patriotic::dance::AR15firing:
  14. Donnie D

Donnie D New Member

I had a ball with it, but next time I'm takin more ammo...and more cans.

Donnie D;)
  15. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Hey beth I took a pop can filled it with water and put an empty on top.Shot it with .22 and the bottom can exploded and the water went flying,the can was shredded to bits but the top can just fell over,it didnt pop up into the air.I dont know if you are supposed to use pop cans or not,please advise me if I was wrong.Pretty cool though.
  16. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Saw Tom Knapp do this with 2 paint cans. So of course I had to try it. First attempt not so good. Filled the can all the way up and it just exploded. Second attempt much better only filled the can a little over half way. Made the top can go up about 30 feet. I was so thrilled I forgot to keep shooting, until it was already half way down. 3rd time I kept shooting but was so giddy I couldn't hit the darned thing. Wish we had videoed it. We were using #7 shot
  17. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Were these 1gal cans ?and did you put the lids on both?Im guessing the lids are on but please let me know.
  18. Donnie D

Donnie D New Member

I haven't had a chance to try it much, but the best luck I had was using two 14.5 oz steel veggie cans I don't think size matters as long as the top can is the same size or larger than the bottom one. Remove the top from the bottom can and fill or almost fill it with water.
    The aluminum soft drink cans are too thin and weak walled to work, so don't use them.