tasco scope issue

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 68c15, Aug 13, 2012.

1. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

I have a tasco world class 3-9x40 wide view that is not holding a setting. mine is dated June of 1981. does anyone know if this would fall within their limited lifetime warranty? aside from spending 2 hours on hold how else can I get a hold of someone? email add.? I get the impression from their website I am SOL. please tell me I am wrong
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

How do you know it is the scope and nothing else?

OK let me take it a bit slower.

1st I would like to know if there is a possibility of the scope moving in the rings? Alot of times, in fact most of the time, movement in the scope is often mistaken for a bad scope.

Look at the rings and see if the scope is leaving you signs of slippage. Check the bases to make sure they are tight and there is no movement.

I dont know anything about tasco and their warranty so from that stand point sorry.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i like cyclones questions ...

tasco here have been real good with warrenty stuff but thats here

i like tasco for that reason but yes this call waiting jazz sucks , i like the old days you could phone the workshop and book in and talk to someone in the workshop

( who'd ask questions like cyclone man did )
  4. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

I have been around long enough to see many things happen. The cover doesn't allway make the book. To me guns and ammo are more of a math problem mixed with science and art.

Plus i have see 9 out of 10 times the fault goes to rings and bases not the scope.
  5. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

I can guaran-damn-tee the bases are tight but I am not so sure about the scope to ring deal. how do i know if it's the problem? what kind of sign does slippage leave?

first shot from my savage 110 .270 is like 1" low and 2" left, second shot about 2 minutes later is like center and 3" high. subsequent shots are all different. I chucked up my bushnell boresighter and re-set it to zero. then with tapping on middle of scope the reticle moves each time.

I'm about ready to throw on the crusty looking swift that came with the gun and try it again.
  6. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

was on the phone with him last night. We coverd that. He can tap the scope after firing from a shooting rest and be inches of.up and to the side, tap it hold the same POI. and be many more inches of the other way.

68 you where saposed to swap scopes and try it on a difrent rifle. and see if it does it again.
    And then call me.:tapfoot:
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  7. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

yeah, yeah, yeah. but I don't have another rifle aside from my .30-30

I do have other cheap scopes though (sigh)
  8. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

OK

Now i think the scope has internal failure. You got to ask so we go thru the stupid things first.

At this point i would get a new scope.

Warne steel rings and bases too. Multipal screws to hold the scope in the rings. Cabelas has a good price on them too.

270 does have recoil so get the best you can afford.

On the flip side hope they can do some warranty for ya.

Good luck;)
  9. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

Ok get ahold of me tomorrow I'll bring 2 or 3 of mine out to the range and we can use your scope to see what hapens.
  10. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

the rings I am using are weavers from walmart. they have wide saddles and 4 screws each. I tightened them is sequence evenly and tight. I see no scratches. the only other rings I have are a tad too low so the bolt handle scrapes the bell slightly
  11. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

are you gonna be back from camp by saturday morning?
  12. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

No sunday afternoon:( or evening.
  13. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

ok, since they close at 6 should we say 3:00 ish on Sunday? the 100 and 200 should be clear by then. I'll pick you up and drive there. I may even bring you back
    call me tomorrow
  14. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

we will figure somthing out. I need to get there and do some more weak hand practice.
  15. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

When i was oh 25 years younger i used to buy cheap bushnells. They would last generally 2 seasons and i would toss them.

One day fustrated like you a guy took me to the side and told me in a nice voice that the weaver strap rings i was using were pos. He also pointed out several things about the scope i had that made me apperciate a higher end optic. I left his ranch that weekend to end up at a gun shop the following monday morning. I purchased a very nice scope i could afford and Warne steel rings and bases for my rifle. Never touched it since. Still zeroed to this day. In fact all my rifles got an upgrade and they are never messed with again. Period. If you take this information and use it you will be happy for a long time.

I made it a point to become as knowledgeable as possible about scopes and what it takes to make them work for ya. Do yourself the favor and get you a nice scope and good rings and bases get them put on to speck and never touch it.
  16. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

call me crazy but two of mine have Barska's on them and they work great.
  17. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

I appreciate the sound advice cycloneman. I will do what i can with my meager budget
  18. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

dont sweat it. I got my stuff when i was making money before the country gave an african the keys to the economy. Just do the best with what you got, enjoy.
  19. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. I used to make almost double what I am making now. and to top it off I now have a wife and 2 kids. back then I bought as many tools for work as I could. $25K a year to Snap-on and Matco made me real popular.

I may have solved my issue but I won't know for sure until this weekend. I bought a Pentax Gameseeker 4-12x40 BDC brand new for $100:D