Tasteless American fruit and Veg.

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by TranterUK, May 21, 2009.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

As some here know, I am a supporter of the United States. I have spent time in, worked with and have friends there. So my comment is meant to inform, not to criticize.

I thought you may be interested to know its often said while no fruit and vegetables are better looking than American ones, they have little or no flavour. Its thought the attention placed on size and appearance has taken president over flavour.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2009
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I take no offense, and agree fully if we are speaking of what you buy in the stores. Agrabusiness has adopted a maximum-profit outlook that concentrates on ability to SHIP and GOOD LOOKS over what it tastes like when you get it home.
    If one raises their own, or buys from small individual growers in those marvelous little back-of-the-pickup kind of things, the situation is very different indeed.

If you HAVE to buy in stores, we find Sam's Club to have the best quality produce.
  3. ampaterry

Perception is a MUCH larger thing than many people realize.

Six months ago, my wife and I rode horses through an eco-park in Belize. The guides spoke about how the natives valued the Iguana for meat to the point that it was spoken of as 'Jungle chicken'.

At the conclusion of the ride, they had prepared a FABULOUS meal for us which included some wonderful baked chicken.
    I swear, 75% of the people threw the chicken away because they did 'not like Iguana'.

My iguana was very good.
    Especially the breast and wings.
  4. To a great extent, you are quite correct, Tranter. The emphasis of the growers and importers here is often--as you say--on appearance and on mass production. Many of the varieties grown are chosen for their ability to survive transport to market, rather on flavor. That is precisely why I grow my own vegetables in the summer. :D
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I must be clear, I am not passing judgement, my own experience is very limited both in region and range.

I can say I have bought American Washington Red apples, that look amazing, and taste a little like raw potato. My daughter recently in Florida remarked the strawberries were the biggest she had ever seen, and were pretty much without any flavour.

I guess as ampaterry said, it's best to find smaller local producers.
  6. ampaterry

Tranter, speaking of differences in food between our respective countries -

Why do you call those things 'bangers'?
    The first time I heard that term was in one of the GREAT James Harriot books, in which they refered to a dish as 'bangers and mash'.
    I had visions of some kind of bean soup, named for the gastric results - -
  7. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

A banger is just a slang name for a sausage. Some explode if not pricked before frying. Mash is mashed potato.
  8. ampaterry

Now THAT makes sense to me -

Thank you!
  9. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

I was raised in the country and we had our own produce and meat, both lamb and beef. Nothing in the real world tastes like anything we had, and I'm sure it has been worsened over the years with chemical additives, unfortunately. Now I live in a small town and grow peas and tomatoes, which are still better than store-bought.

The absolute best thing was my grandmother's wild blueberry pie. I have not enjoyed any blueberry pie since. It's such a shame.
  10. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

It is true, it is better to buy from a small vendor. Not only are our vegetables grown to look good, they are picked far too early to ripen on where ever it is they are shipped to! Keep buying from the small farmer.
  11. Pie made with wild berries of just about any kind is heavenly, Pine. :D Before we moved to Colorado, we used to make at least one trip out on the Delta each summer that was devoted exclusively to picking wild blackberries. They grow all over the San Joaquin Delta, but the really good berries can only be reached by boat. We'd pick buckets of them, bring them home, make a pie or two, then turn the rest into the best blackberry jam you ever tasted. ;)
  12. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

For 37 years I have been telling my wife that size and appearance are not the only indicators of quality.

You have been waiting for this response haven't you?
  13. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Oh yes, that's the one. Only I have only been telling my wife for 20 years.
  14. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    the problem is with fast grown green house fruits and veggie's grown with chemicals instead of good old fashioned soil. i've been an organic grower all my life, a family thing, and the difference between what we grow as opposed to what you buy in the store isn't even comparable.
  15. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    With my grandmother it was strawberry rhubarb.YUM!
  16. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

Tranter the same is especially true of U.S. Lamb being tasteless Vs. NZ Lamb.
    On the other hand, don't eat Beef in the U.K. it is grass fed making it tough and tasteless. U.S. corn fed is King.
    By the way, why is there no prime rib or filet cut sold in Tesco ? is it because the Cows don't have 'em or do they use it for Minced beef?
    When I ask a brit butcher for Either, and then say i'm wanting 12-16 lbs They look horrified. I rotis 16 lb boneless prime rib as a rule!!
  17. The secret about British beef IB, is that it isn't grown to be eaten. The British government contracts for most of it to be used as arresting cables on their aircraft carriers. :D;)
  18. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

Harsh! But funny:D

I have had some really good steaks in UK eateries. I remember a little cafe in Brighton that sold particularly good Scottish beef. One of my favorite Italian restaurants is also in Brighton, The Latin in the Laines, in case you get a chance to drop by.

I was doing extensive travel to the UK during the BSE scare and beef became quite difficult to find, not that I was looking. That's when I also tried some excellent lamb and seafood.

Most of our fruits and veggies are treated to make them all ripen simultaneously which means that they only appear to be ripe. They are also treated with all sorts of fungicides, heavily irrigated and cross bred to be large, lovely, withstand shipping and produce very high yields. All of this comes at the expense of flavor.

Those that live in the SE, and mayby elsewhere, will find wild strawberries growing in their lawns, if they are a lazy gardener as I. They are very small, ususally no larger than a large pea and are very tart. The upside is an intense strawberry flavor that you can smell when picked. That is what we have lost to obtain beautiful, large, robust fruit that ripens when we want to harvest on schedule.:(

At least it is relatively inexpensive and there is plenty of it.
  19. pawn

pawn New Member

I agree that beef (even burgers) in the UK is a "bit off". At the same time, UK bacon is sublime. Most of the food available over there is very nice... excluding stuff like haggis, blood sausage, blood pudding etc....

20. pawn

pawn New Member

+1

Horray for wild blueberry pie. I used to have to pick a whole lot of wild blueberrys to make a pie. It was worth it.

Rubarb pie is wonderful and it's alot easier to pick the rubarb :)