Tasteless American fruit and Veg.

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by TranterUK, May 21, 2009.

1. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

You used to be able to get the most wonderful oranges here in Florida. Of course you could, this is where they grow them! Now you go to the farmer's market and the only thing they have for sale is garbage. The best oranges are trucked or flown far away, the transportation costs of this are high and it makes no sense to do it with anything but the best produce. You go to the grocery store and they have beautiful oranges, from California or Mexico, expensive (transportation costs again) but beautiful. Take 'em home and peel them, first thing you notice is the peel is 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. The orange is 35% peel. This thick peel is desirable to make them more rugged and resistant to rough handling. And they are bland. Beautiful but bland. Gee thanks. I guess this is progress.
  2. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    You can thank our trade agreement for that, what is it called, NAFTA?:mad:
  3. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I always looked forward to getting honeybell oranges, those were the greatest I've ever tasted but they can be in short supply at times.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    The very reasons I have planted my own fruit trees!
  5. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

The very best lemons I ever had came from a tree in my daughter's landlady's back yard in New Orleans. It was huge and had survived Katrina. The lady said that the tree was volunteer growth from some fruit they had thrown out there and had been fertilized by their dogs. I am surprised that the seeds germinated as most are so hybirdized that they won't.

Large, thin skin, tart with a pronounced lemony flavor.
  6. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

You probably get better citrus in Minnesota than I get in Jacksonville.