Taurus .44 Magnum

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by SpaceBinks, Aug 22, 2012.

1. SpaceBinks

SpaceBinks New Member

So I am looking into buying a .44 magnum revolver. From what i have seen my best bet would be to go with a Taurus. I have narrowed it down to two models. Either the M44, or the Raging Bull. Which would suit better for a range/fun gun and a hunting gun? It will be more of a fun gun than a hunting gun. I also may open carry it at times, but rarely perhaps as a trail gun. Thank you for replies.
  2. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. The thing to consider is the weight of it. Go to a gun store to handle them, and see which one really appeals to you. You can shoot 44 special in the magnum, so that may be a way to save some bucks. Have you ever shot one? If not, see if someone you know has one, and if they will let you try it out. The more information you have, the better the decision.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    First off, Welcome aboard! Tell us a little bit about your experiences with hand guns. The .44Mag is not a good hand gun to start with! I know from experience!
  4. SpaceBinks

SpaceBinks New Member

I have shot revolver and a WWII German pocket pistol when it comes to hand guns because my family only has one .357 and not many of my friends shoot. I have fired the .357 mag quite often and have gotten used to the recoil. I know .44 will be a larger recoil, but i could start off with lighter powder loads. The two models I am looking at also come stock with ported barrels and are heavy long barreled revolvers which also reduces kick.
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

The 44mag has substantial recoil but is not unmanageable. I do agree you should shoot one to make sure thats what you want. You will hear several negative reports on taurus handguns but I personally have had good luck with them. You are talking about carrying this long barreled 44mag revolver? That will be a little tricky...
  6. SpaceBinks

SpaceBinks New Member

Carrying would be more of a trail gun, and also not concealed. I have found holsters that can be worn in a baldric fashion, like how swords used to be carried. (The holster comes down from your shoulder and down to your hip which reduces the felt weight)
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yea, carrying out on the trail is different and would be doable. Ported barrels do help some with recoil and as someone else mentioned you can shoot the 44spl loads thru it if you wish.
  8. SpaceBinks

SpaceBinks New Member

Does anyone have experience with either the M44 or Raging Bull? If so which would be recommended?
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have never owned nor have I fired either model that you mentioned. I did look at both of them at Bud's Gun shop website and they look alike to me, six of one half dozen of the other, so to speak. I own a Ruger Redhawk that I really like to shoot even if it is a hand full with full loads.

As far as Taurus hand guns go, I have owned many of them and have NEVER had a problem with any of them. I own a Sig Sauer that I had all kinds of trigger problems with and they are supposed to be like the Mercedes of guns (I don't use the word Cadillac because I hate them). A lot of people pick the word Taurus and talk trash about them.
  10. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I found some guy who says he owns both, and the RB frame was too big, the M44 was just right.

????
  11. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

In .44 mag. I have a Tracker 4" and two Raging Bulls one is 4" the other is a 6". The Tracker has a much smaller frame so more felt recoil but is is certainly managable. All my Taurus handguns are quite accurate and I have not had any problems with them at all. As for which would work best, it really is just personal preference as both will shoot equally well.
  12. dodgeboy12008

dodgeboy12008 New Member

I have the ultra light 44 with 4" barrel. I love the thing. The cushy grip helps with the recoil, I personally don't think its that bad. The 180 gr Remington factory loads are ok in it, about the lightest Ive used. I haven't shot any heavy/high power loads, I'm not sure if it would handle some of the loads like buffalo bore. As a side note, I got tricked into buying it. I had never shot a 44 mag and told the salesman, so he let me shoot it. After seeing my grin, he knew it was sold.