1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Taurus 709 accuracy experience

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by paydirt, Apr 11, 2010.

1. paydirt

paydirt New Member

New guy here and greetings to all. I purchased a 709 about a month ago and the mechanicals have been flawless for 300 rounds. The problem is I can't hold any kind of group worth beans and get quite a few flyers. Even standing ten feet away I can hardly hit the bullseye. I have been shooting a Ruger MK 22 pistol for years and have no problems. The 709 is my first large bore pistol and I'm pretty sure the problem is all me. I have done allot of reading on grip, trigger control, and recoil. I just can't believe that after 300 rounds and allot of concentration I am not seeing any improvement. Any opinions or experience with your own 709 are welcome. Thanks
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

My bet is that your having a linear stringing problem with that barrel. Taurus has failed to fit some barrels properly so the barrels never lock consistently in the frame.
  3. paydirt

paydirt New Member

I Googled "Taurus linear stringing" for more information and there wasn't anything.
  4. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

I'm certainly no expert and have problems of my own, but one thing to try would be to shoot at the bench rest position. Get a comfortable solid table, and rest your hands on something solid like bean bags.
  5. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

There are good days and bad days for shooters. That said, try again. Concentrate on your grip. Are you gripping it tight enough with your shooting hand. This not only controls recoil, but helps you to touch off the trigger "accidentally". Remember that you want to be surprised when it goes off, that means that you have total trigger control. I'll bet your scores improve. I have a Taurus PT-745 and it's really accurate as is my PT-101P. Enjoy your pistol. I've handled one and they feel great in your hand. The trigger pull is a lot shorter than my 745 and the 9mm doesn't kick a whole lot, so just enjoy it.

Dave
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

The key is here, he has done all that and at 10 feet he should have some sort of grouping. Benching it would be also my reccomendation to see if its you or it.
    If you look up Taurus Linear stringing you ain't gonna find it b/c most people know it as a accuracy problem but the failure is in the manufacturing. The condition is called linear stringing. There is also horizontal stringing and then just flat out bad fitting. If you bench it and still have these problems then I'm 99% sure you found your problem.
    I know some people have had really good luck with their Taurus but it don't amount to a hill of beans. There are to many that have problems . Taurus, though being slow in their warranty work does cover accuracy problems under the warranty. So if you can't hit the broad side of a barn at 10 feet, you may want to have it serviced.
  7. paydirt

paydirt New Member

Thanks all for taking the time to give me some input. I really like the pistol allot but need to get the grouping nailed down. As it has been stated, I need to bench rest this guy and prove things out. I sure hope it's just me because everything else is solid as a rock.
  8. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

This may be too much, but if you have something like a ransom rest for the using, that would eliminate the human element...
  9. paydirt

paydirt New Member

I am reporting back on my Taurus 709 accuracy issue. I took the 709 to a local gun range and had a veteran shooter test it out. He immediately shot 3 inch groups at twenty feet. He then observed me shooting and noticed that I was tense when shooting and this was throwing me off. So there it is, it's me and not the gun. I need to relax and practice some more until it comes naturally. Thanks again for taking the time to give input.