Taurus 709 "Slim"

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by justluck, Mar 22, 2010.

1. justluck

justluck New Member

Would like to hear about experiences (The good, bad or ugly) anyone may have with the "Slim". Seems like it would be good to carry and I like the idea of it being a 9mm. I have no experience with Taurus.

Thanks
  2. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

I'm waiting to hear some input on this also as I too am considering the Slim as my next gun purchase.
  3. Harralson

Harralson New Member

I purchased a Taurus 709 slim late last year. I fired approx. 120 rounds of factory (Winchester) and reloaded ammunition thru it. Nine cartridges failed to fire. The firing pin struck the primer lightly and it did not ignite.

I returned the gun to Taurus for repair. It was gone 8 weeks and returned with a note that they replaced the firing pin.

I went back to the range and the exact same problem continued. Approximately 10% of rounds fail to fire.

I returned it again to taurus for repair about 4 weeks ago.
  4. Rneck

Rneck New Member

I bought one last year and so far no problems,after 300 rounds. the sights are a little small for my old eyes so it is the wife's carry gun
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Taurus, Ruger, and Kel-tec seem to be the three handgun manufacturers who are making innovations these days. Twenty years ago, Glock was the new thing... and now everyone makes a polymer DAO pistol.

I fully expect other manufacturers to copy the designs of these three over the next decade. But like anything else, I'm generally wary of the first generation of any product.

Taurus makes good stuff. But I still like to wait a year or so on the newest thing, no matter who makes it.
  6. Over The Hill

Over The Hill New Member

I bought a 709 in January and intended to use it as a carry. Nice little gun, it handled and felt good. But after 75 or so rounds, it started to misfire with light pin strikes on the primer, then it jammed. When I took it apart, the recoil spring had broken. The light strikes may be related to the broken spring, I'm not sure. Anyway, Taurus is sending me another spring. Its been almost two months since I returned the broken part. The folks in Florida (customer service) could not give me an expected date for replacement, but they will replace it under the warranty. I am anxious to get the spring to further test this gun. I hope it works out ok. I'll post the result after I get it fixed and take it back out to the range.
  7. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek New Member

I don't have first hand experience with the 709, so I won't comment on it. However if you're looking into a "slim" pistol, you may want to do some looking into the Walther PPS. Comes in 9mm or .40 S&W.
  8. EL TORO

EL TORO New Member

I was going to buy one until one day at the range, a fellow shooting a new one blew up wrecking slide and cracking frame. He was shaken, but not hurt. I cancelled my order! Oh, he was shooting Rem UMC 9mm.
  9. donhudd

donhudd New Member

I like my slim a lot. It is dependable, easy to conceal, with mild recoil. The only down side is that it tends to hit a little low, but I have adjusted my sight picture to take care of that. With large hands like mine, the pinkie slides under the magazine , leaving a firm two finger grip. I added an extension but took it off because I prefer the standard grip.

PS---I have fired more than 500 rounds with NO failures of any kind.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  10. Tierra14

Tierra14 New Member

I am also interrested in this pistol. Im shopping for my first pistol and this is one of the ones I'm considering. So thanks for the input on this. If I do decide to purchase one Ill let everyone know how it goes:)
  11. cluznar

cluznar Former Guest

I am also curious about the Slim... by now they must have them running well with all the bugs out.