The Firearms Forum banner

Taurus 85 snubby

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Rugermanws 
#1 ·
I have an older Taurus 85 in nickel finish and I want to carry this gun for protection. Because it's older I'm assuming 38 +p's are not reccomended in this pistol. I also want to convert this to a double action only by replacing the hammer, I do not want the stock hammer filed down. I want to carry this in an inside holster and I have a belly so I didn't want any obstruction with the stock hammer should I have to use it. Has anyone done this before because I know it's cheaper to do this than to buy another snubby and it's in like new condition. Your advice would be very helpful, thnaks in advance.

#2 ·
i have a t85 dao with bobbed hammer.

good gun.

i shoot regular loads in it.. but it surely has +p hp self defense loads in it otherwise.

when that gun was built +p were available.. so I don't feel too bad about loading them for a very rare situation where they might be used.

I would not fire them all day every day.

now. some guns specifically say no +p .. for instance.. a charter arms airweight 38 i bought... no PP

if you are concerned.. email the bull and ask em..

#3 · (Edited)
I wouldn't sweat it, the +p out of a snubby aren't getting much of an FPS bump
at the ranges you'll be using it...which is Up Close & Personal.
And I'll agree with soundguy, hit nail on head.

A gutshot with a .38 will put a damper on anyone's day...
Heart/lung & head work even better.

Might wanna invest in a good grip for it, Pachmyer makes a nice option...
so does Hogue...and a few others.

#4 ·
I wouldn't sweat it, the +p out of a snubby aren't getting much of an FPS bump
at the ranges you'll be using it...which is Up Close & Personal.
And I'll agree with soundguy, hit nail on head.

A gutshot with a .38 will put a damper on anyone's day...
Heart/lung & head work even better.

Might wanna invest in a good grip for it, Pachmyer makes a nice option...
so does Hogue...and a few others.
This pistol came with rubber grips from the factory, my concern is pulling the pistol with the stock hammer, I have alittle carry over from my belt line, over weight in other words. I've fired this pistol double action only and don't see a problem changing out the hammer for a bobbed hammer.

#6 ·
That's the main reason I don't like carrying a revolver. The hammer sticks in my little fat belly, when I did carry one (for a short while) I bought one of the Ruger LCRs that didn't have a hammer sticking up. It was so light that I mainly carried it in my front pants pocket.

I say take your Taurus to a reputable gunsmith and have the hammer bobbed and be happy with it.

#8 ·
That's the main reason I don't like carrying a revolver. The hammer sticks in my little fat belly, when I did carry one (for a short while) I bought one of the Ruger LCRs that didn't have a hammer sticking up. It was so light that I mainly carried it in my front pants pocket.

I say take your Taurus to a reputable gunsmith and have the hammer bobbed and be happy with it.
That's the problem with the belly fat. Yeah I won't do this on my own a gunsmith will do the work for me. This was my late father's pistol he kept in his night stand, he was like you a retired letter carrier. This pistol is truely like brand new although the nickel finish would not have been my first chioce.

#9 ·
Well, there is the other option...back off of carbs & fat, drop sodas,
and do situps/crunches/other tummy shrinking workouts until the belly is flatter :)

I've had to come to a realization...ever see the file on overweight people over 70??
Its mighty slim...think about that.

I had twin boys at 43, if I want to stick around to see if they produce any grandkids,
I've got to stay in shape.

#10 ·
As already stated, practice with standard .38 loads, and cary +P's. Bob the hammer, and pocket carry. I have a Charter Off Duty, DAO, and I do not feel under armed.

#11 · (Edited)
Well, there is the other option...back off of carbs & fat, drop sodas,
and do situps/crunches/other tummy shrinking workouts until the belly is flatter :)

I've had to come to a realization...ever see the file on overweight people over 70??
Its mighty slim...think about that.

I had twin boys at 43, if I want to stick around to see if they produce any grandkids,
I've got to stay in shape.
I agree, that would be the smartest way out of this problem, but it's easier said than done. I did lose 20 pounds last year but that's just one pant size, I have a long way to go.

#12 · (Edited)
-My Wife has the older Taurus Model 85S before the safety lock. Excellent little revolver that we both love to shoot! It was/is also the back-up gun of choice for the many police depts in Brazil. There are plenty of Taurus haters out there really for no reason. Nothing different than one person hating Chevy or Ford. We practice with American Eagle 130gr FMJ, but she keeps it loaded with Federal Hydro-Shoks...

L8R,
Matt

#13 ·
-My Wife has the older Taurus Model 85S before the safety lock. Excellent little revolver that we both love to shoot! It was/is also the back-up gun of choice for the many police depts in Brazil. There are plenty of Taurus haters out there really for no reason. Nothing different than one person hating Chevy or Ford. We practice with American Eagle 130gr FMJ, but she keeps it loaded with Federal Hydro-Shoks...

L8R,
Matt
Mine is also pre safety lock and I've fired other brands of snub nose 38s and this is not a bad revolver. I have no problem using this firearm for protection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.