taurus 85

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by threerounds, Sep 11, 2005.

1. threerounds

threerounds New Member

I just bought a Taurua 85 Ultralite and am having some problems with it. Sometimes when you load the cylinder and try to close it the cylinder will not close or is very hard to close. All the rounds are properly seated as a matter of fact it will even do it with no bullets in the cylinder. I can't see anything wrong. There are no drag marks on the frame where the cylinder enters the frame. When this happens and you do get the cylinder closed the gun is sometimes very hard or impossible to cock. I have a friend that has the same gun and he does not have the problem at all. So guess what, I traded him guns and now this one does it also and the one I had no longer has the problem. He thinks it is somethin I am doing. I can't disagree but do not see what I could be doing wrong.
    1. I open the cylinder and hold the gun so the cylinder openings are vertical.
    2. I insert the bullets and make sure that they are correctly seated.
    3. I close the cylinder giving it a slight turn so it locks in place.
    4. I point the gun down range, cock the hammer, aim and pull the trigger.
    5. The gun shoots fine...never a problem there. In fact it is a great shooting little gun.
    6. At 15 - 20 rounds fired is where I had the problem(s).
    7. Another thing when it is having this problem the bullets no longer just drop into the cylinder, you have to physically seat some of them.
    8. It does not seem to matter if you use factory rounds or reloads. It has done it with both.

If you drench it in oil the problem seems to lessen but doesn't completely go away. Once overoiled you can close the gun and open it and shoot it but it is very stiff and you can tell there is definately still a problem.
  2. raveneap

raveneap New Member

Sounds like you may be getting residue buildup under the extractor. This will prevent the cylinder from completly closing; if it's not completely closed, even a fraction, you shouldn't be able to turn the cylinder/pull the trigger. As to why it's doing it on the one you got from your friend and now the one you had isn't doing it for him; sounds like his idea that it may be something you are doing is right but can't imagine what it is. I'd check closly under the extraxtor; see if it's completely seating itself in the face of the cylinder.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
  3. threerounds

threerounds New Member

raveneap,
    Thanks for the idea. On the one I have now I looked under the extractor and there WAS trash, I even made comment to my friend when I saw it. I don't know about the first gun as I did not look under the extractor. If the extractor was not seated don't you think it would make a mark on the frame when closing or attempting to close the cylinder? No mark there. However, I like the idea and there WAS what I would consider a lot of particles under the extractor. I believe it was enough to do what you are suggesting, I think....but once again no mark on the frame. I went to the range today and shot 50 - 70 rounds through it with no problem. Towards the end of the session I did have a few rounds that required a push to seat them in the cylinder. I cleaned it thoroughly when I got home paying close attention to the cylinder and the area under the extractor (at that time there was no residue or particals present) and you can again just drop the rounds into the cylinder.
    To address that part about my doing something to cause the problem: on my previous post I tried to state as best I can remember EXACTLY what I did. Do you see anything there that might cause the problem or can you think of ANYTHING I might have done to cause the problem....ANYTHING?
  4. raveneap

raveneap New Member

Hi threerounds,

I don't see anything in your description of your actions that would lay the blame at your feet so to speak but it's weird that it only did it with you on two different guns and not with the other owner. Re: the extractor approach, I'd agree that if it's got enough junk to keep it from closing, it seems as tho it should leave at least miniscule marks. But remember, it doesn't take much to interfere. I picked up a beautiful S&W 586 no dash at a show some time ago. Appeared to be almost unfired but every once in a while the cylinder would hang ias you opened/closed it. I had a friend who is an accomplished gun smith and S&W aficianado go all over it. He found very tiny pieces of grit under the extractor and they were very hard. According to him, it wasn't cleaned thoruoghly the last time that it was fired and then sat for years with this stuff solidifying. (This gun was manufactured in October, 1982.) And there were tiny marks where the extractor was hitting the frame when the cylinder was closed. He was able to clean it up and smooth it out.
    Good luck.

This is the old S&W:

[​IMG]
  5. threerounds

threerounds New Member

Nice gun. Want to trade :D
  6. raveneap

raveneap New Member

Not today I guess... :)
  7. threerounds

threerounds New Member

I know. :(
  8. denfoote

denfoote New Member

Taurus revolvers are prone to getting gunk under the extractor.
    I have two and they both exibit that tendency.
    Also, the front of the cylinder gets gunked up easily as well.
    As long as you keep them clean, they work very well!!!