Taurus 94 hates CCI mini mags

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by 22wood, Dec 17, 2010.

1. 22wood

22wood New Member

Just got a new Taurus m94 5" barrel revolver.It shoots a 7" group at ten yards from sandbags with CCI,but with Remington golden bullet HP(in 50 round box not bulk ammo)It will shoot 1" group.With The Remington ammo you can turn bullet around and it wiggels from side to side in case.The CCI no movement at all.Gun also shoots Winchester bulk ammo HP in 2"-2 1/2" group.Does this tell me something about my gun? Or should I just buy Remington ammo & keep shooting Thanks!
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Yes, it tells you something very important about your gun: it like Remington Golden Bullets better than Mini Mags or Winchester Bulk!

Every gun is different, even different examples of the exact same model have some variance. A difference of .001 inch in the chamber or barrel can have an amazing effect on the flight of the bullet. It sounds to me like something with the barrel of that gun doesn't stabilize the Mini Mags. That's OK; it works fine with other options. (Mini Mags are available as both round nose and hollow points. It's quite possible that one will shoot fine and one won't).

I'm glad your Model 94 shoots so well with the Golden Bullets. Enjoy it, and stick to what it shoots well.
  3. 22shot

22shot New Member

I agree with CampingJosh from experience...

Try a box of CCI Green Tag; this is a "target" load (lower velocity) and the mnfg. tollerances are tighter...

In the end; you will find a load that your gun "likes".
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  4. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forums 22wood.

Now that you know what's going on with different ammo giving you different results, you can have a lot of fun with it. While you won't be handloading for your .22RF, you have an incredible variety of ammo from which to choose. You can try dozens of different "loads" to see how well each works in your .22(s). Enjoy!
  5. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i keep a notebook on all my rifles and pistols and the ammo i have tried in each.i try to buy a box of bulk ammo in as many brands and configerations as possible so i can try as many as possible in each gun.i usually will find one or more that shoot great. old semperfi
  6. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

This is slighty off the topic but ammo related. Has anyone experienced when using a hot load in a 22 revolver such as a mini-mag, the brass swells up in the cylinder and then you have to pick a couple of them out with your finger before you can eject the rest.The federal bulk ammo never does that it's always kind of loose fitting when loading.