Taurus 94

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by ninjatoth, Jul 6, 2009.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

I have the Taurus 94 4" in black.m94b4.I like the feel of the revolver,but it misfires alot on any ammo other than cci.So,I sent it into the company to have it checked out,and just like people have said,Taurus is taking their sweet time.I think it's been 5 weeks now,but i'm not too upset because I figured it was going to take a long time.Does anyone else have a 94 and like it?Or dislike it?

Attached Files:

2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I had a 94 back in the early 90s. Was a great little trail gun, and I didn't have any problems with mine other than the trigger was real heavy and rough for a J-frame size revolver. It was pretty hard for me to get good groups with it offhand but it was pretty decent off of the bench.
    As far as reliability, the only problems I had was if I fed it stale ammo and I can't fault the gun for that...the stuff would misfire in my other .22s too.

I replaced it with a 4" SP-101 in .22LR otherwise I'd probably still have it. I do miss the extra 3 rounds (the SP is only a six shooter) but the Ruger's trigger is sooo much nicer than my 94 was.
  3. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

hey bindernut,I have never shot a 6 shot .22,would you say the trigger and cylinder action is smooter on a 6 shot?seems like it would be since my 9 shot cylinder finishes its rotation before the hammer is fully cocked
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

No...the action is just smoother on my SP101. It's not a factor of 6 versus 9, just a difference in manufacturer.

Don't get me wrong, the 94 is a great little trail gun.
    Factory fresh, all the 94s and 941s that I've handled have had somewhat of a rough trigger. They will smooth up some with use too but a little help from a gunsmith will get them there sooner and a little better.

The ones I've seen have been like mine...very usable right out of the box. But if you can find a smith that will work on a Taurus it can be improved too. I probably wouldn't recommend lightening up the mainspring to lighten the DA pull lest you start getting "light strike" misfires, but some good polishing on the sear surfaces you can get a very smooth trigger. On a lightweight little gun (okay, so the 94 isn't all that light unless you get the alloy frame model but it is a small gun), a rough/heavy trigger will make accurate shot placement tougher to do.

I should add that the new ones (from the last couple years) seem to have a lighter DA trigger pull than my circa-1994 one did. I wonder if maybe the factory started lightening up the mainspring a bit for a lighter DA trigger. that could cause misfires.
    another thing that can cause misfires is crud buildup in the chambers that doesn't allow the cartridges to fully seat into the chambers. When the hammer falls, the firing pin uses some of it's energy to finish seating the cartridge into that muck before it can crush the rim to fire the round. this is more prone to happen with the cheap, lubed-lead "bulk" ammo like Remington Thunderbolt or Winchester Wildcat.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  5. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

the strike markes are very light in the rim of the case,I am new to handguns,and this is my first .22 handgun,so I don't know if this is normal,but the strike marks are only maybe 1/3 as deep as the strike marks are from a .22 rifle.My gun only shoots cci ammo right,from the expensive cci pistol match down to the lowest LRN cheap cci stuff,it all shoots fine,but with federal or winchester bulk packs,it is like clockwork,only 6 out of 9 fire,then I have to re insert the rounds 2-3 more times before the last 3 will fire.My opinion is that maybe CCi ammo is a little more sensitive,better primer,so I just happen to be getting beter success.It sounds like they have lightened up the springs with the new guns then or something,I don't know the whole issue with the gun,but it does come down to it being that the firing pin isn't hitting hard enough
  6. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

oh,and another thing,I did notice that CCI ammo's rims are a hair thicker,and maybe that gives them just a hair deeper strike.