Taurus failure to fire

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Harralson, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Harralson

Harralson New Member

I recently purchased a Taurus 709 slim. I have fired approx. 120 rounds of factory (Winchester) and reloaded ammunition thru it. I have not had any type of feeding problem, but 9 cartridges have failed to fire. The firing pin struck the primer, but it did not ignite.

In the mean time I have fired approx. 200 rounds of the same ammunition thru my Glock 19c without any type of failure.

The folks at Bass pro shops looked at the unfired rounds and indicated that the size of the depression appeared adequate to ignite the primer, implying a problem with the primers. I did not buy the gun there.

Should I return this gun to Taurus, or let a local gunsmith look at it?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

call taurus, they have a lifetime warrenty on many of there guns. It will take about 6 weeks for the to finish it. The guys at bass pro just sell things, don't ask them for technical advise. The pin protrusion needs to be measured to decide if its a ammo problem or a gun problem. If the primer visually looks like it was struck properly then why fix the gun? It would be an ammo problem.
    Try shooting the FTF rounds again. If they fire, it may have been a seating problem with the primers. If they still don't fire it may be a dead primer. I would say if the strikes look light then look to the gun for the problems.
    Is the gun new or used? How clean is it? Were the misfires from the reloads?
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  3. Harralson

Harralson New Member

Helix FR
    Thanks for the quick response.
    The gun was purchased new 3 weeks ago. I have shot it on 2 occasions.
    Rounds failing to fire came from both new and reloaded ammunition.
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

compare the primers on the FTF to the fired rounds. See if there is a difference in depth. Also try shooting the FTF again. If still nothing try them in your glock. If they fire then, look to the taurus for the problem. The pin may be too short or the pin channel may not be deep enough. Pin protrusion on a center fire is between 50 and 60 thousands. Not enough then you get the occasional misfire. Taurus will fix for free if thats the case.
  5. Harralson

Harralson New Member

I finally got back to the range today and fired the 9 failed rounds thru my Glock, and they all fired properly. The conclusion is that the Taurus is defective, and I have to return it for repair.
  6. Harralson

Harralson New Member

Well, my 709 went back to Taurus for repairs for 8 weeks, The documentation returned with it stated they had replaced the firing pin. I took the gun to the range today and nothing was improved. In fact, I think a greater percentage of rounds failed to fire (> 10%).

Now I am trying to decide whether to return it to Taurus again, or pay a person locally to try to repair it.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks, Mark
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Thats your call. Taurus's next move would be to replace the slide or the whole gun. They may have a defect in their pins or their pin chamber reamer. A smith would measure the pin protrusion and possibly buy the same pin from Taurus that has the problem. Depends on if the smith is a parts swapper or a machinist.
  8. Popeye

Popeye New Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of Taurus warranty service.

If, as was mentioned, you have access to a qualified gunsmith, and not an armorer, take the pistol to the smith.
  9. Over The Hill

Over The Hill New Member

I have the exact same problem with my new 709.:mad: Upon inspection, it is clear that the firing pin on the rounds that failed did not make a firm strike. Also the firing pin hit the very edge of the primer, nowhere near the center. I broke the gun down and found the recoil spring broken. I'm guessing, but I think the broken spring did not fully seat the bullet and close the slide resulting in the soft pin strike off center.

Given the length of returns to Taurus, I'm going to try to find an alternate spring in lieu of returning the gun. I don't want another factory spring if I can avoid it.
  10. Harralson

Harralson New Member

Over the hill
    That sounds exactly like mine. A light indention on the edge of the primer.
  11. Over The Hill

Over The Hill New Member

Have you inspected your recoil spring for damage? Looks like we are going to have to send them back. I intend to call today. Good luck with yours.......

I just talked with Taurus customer service. They told me I was the first to report a "soft firing pin hit" problem with the 709........Relative to the spring, they asked I return the spring only and they will replace within 10 days.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  12. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I don't have one, but IIRC, that is a striker fired pistol, so strength of the firiing pin (striker) spring is another point to look at, as well as weight (mass)of the striker. In addition to firing pin protrusiom, other factors that could cause the problem are bad headspace, an improperly adjusted firing pin safety, or dirt/gunk in the firing pin channel. In general, Taurus pistols seem to have been made with better quality control than their revolvers.

Jim
  13. Harralson

Harralson New Member

Well, I decided to give Taurus one more chance to repair my gun, so I boxed it up and went to the same UPS store I mailed it from last time. This time I was told that the UPS store could not accept handguns, and that I would have to take it to the UPS hub. I packed it across town to the UPS hub and found out that they will accept it, but it has to be sent UPS next day air for $50.

I did not send it. I already have $420 invested ($400 purchase price + $20 to ship the first time). I’m not sure I’m willing to spend another $50 for a gun that may work correctly when I get it back 2 months from now.

I called and asked USPS, and they will not accept it at all. Is anyone aware of a cheaper method of shipment?

Mark
  14. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    I AN NOT SURE IM GIVING YOU GOOD ADVISE BUT I SEND MY GUNS MARKED GUN PARTS ONLY.........I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM......I WOULD EITHER SELL IT OR SEND IT BACK...........TO HAVE SOMEONE ELSE WORK ON IT WILL PROBABLY VOID THE WARRANTY OLD SEMPERFI
  15. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

UPS will take it and so will USPS. The information they are telling you is incorrect. The key to sending that route is don't tell them whats in the box. USPS really doesn't want to know. UPS says they do but I've talked to the hub shipping supervisor and they don't always want to know either. Also why overnight? There is no law stating that it has to be overnight. Taurus uses fedex. If the gun is under warranty it should be on their dime.