The Firearms Forum banner

Taurus getting out of the Cowboy Action firearm business?

7K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Pat Hurley 
#1 · (Edited)
I was the recipient of some unsettling news yesterday; that Taurus would soon cease to make the Gaucho, among other Cowboy action firearms. Has anyone heard anything about this one way or the other?

I'm just about to purchase a pair of Gauchos in .357 for my son so that he can dive headfirst into SASS, and not have to borrow my pistols. But this rumor has given me pause about buying Gauchos.

Feedback please. Thanks.

#4 ·
The guys at the gun shop here hadn't heard anything about it and were quite shocked at the idea, Pat. They told me that there was a bit of a problem with the older Gauchos while fanning (something with the transfer bar catching, I think... I had lost focus and was checking out the Remington 870 on the wall), but that's been cleared up in the new models. Especially with the increasing popularity of SASS, I don't think Taurus would be getting out now.

#5 ·
From what I've heard about their Lighnting copies (all rather negative) and not seeing or hearing much about thier SA revolvers, I can understand why they'd let them wander off into the sagebrush.
There's just too many other repuatable companies making the SASS stuff that have far better reputaions that taurus has.

#6 ·
Where'd you hear this?
I heard it from one of my gun snob friends, who also happens to be a very active member of a SASS chapter, a voracious reader of all things related to firearms, and an insatiable rumor monger.

I received an e-mail from this friend with an attachment that was an online clearinghouse for manufacturers. And they were/are blowing out Taurus Gauchos. Blued were $289. per, and stainless were $309.00. That's crazy cheap.

Love to know if there's a sliver of truth to the rumor.

#7 ·
If you go to some of the Cowboy forums SASSwire etc. You'll find the Cowboys who have bought their products,(specially the Lightening Rifle) are very displeased with Taraus. Their service was poorly handled. I had problems with mine but handled it without sending it back. Many have dumped the guns at a loss for other options.

#8 · (Edited)
Little Rooster:

What kind of problems are others having with the Taurus Thunderbolt (Colt Lightning clone)?

Mine had feeding problems that I solved myself. The cartridge stop vertical finger was about 0.020 inches too tall and would occasionally catch a cartridge rim as the cartridged moved onto the carrier over it. Filed it down and it feeds that part well. The other problem was that the feeding design will not handle cartridges at the MAX Over All Length of 1.600 inches. In my gun they have to be at least 0.020 inches shorter to not catch on the barrel as the catridge comes up to the chamber area on the carrier. That's easy to fix as I reload my own.

I have yet to see stellar accuracy. In fact it seems rather dismal. I have heard the barrel needs a few rounds through it to smooth the barrel before it will shoot. What kind of accuracy are others getting? I expect less than 6 inches at 50 yds since all my Winchester and Winchester clone levers shoot that well. In fact most of them shoot 3 inch or smaller groups at 50 yds (five shot groups, five groups, averaged).

Also I resorted to Cowboy lead bullets (I hate cast lead bullets as they make a mess inside any barrel) thinking the bullet shape was stopping the feeding. That assessment was wrong (see above). I may try going back to my favorite Hornady XTP bullets I use in my levers after I am assured they will feed properly in the Taurus Thunderbolt.

The gun is beautiful. I always wanted one but could not justify the collector prices. I knew going in that the Lightning design was flawed compared to the Winchester levers, at least for feeding reliablity. I think the action had to be so complicated to avoid the Winchester/Browning patents. I have had mine toally apart multiple times and it is indeed complicated and the timing of everything so critical, unlike the simple John Browning designed levers that always work. But I still like the gun for looks alone!

LDBennett

#9 · (Edited)
Little Rooster:

What kind of problems are others having with the Taurus Thunderbolt (Colt Lightning clone)?

Mine had feeding problems that I solved myself. The cartridge stop vertical finger was about 0.020 inches too tall and would occasionally catch a cartridge rim as the cartridged moved onto the carrier over it. Filed it down and it feeds that part well. The other problem was that the feeding design will not handle cartridges at the MAX Over All Length of 1.600 inches. In my gun they have to be at least 0.020 inches shorter to not catch on the barrel as the catridge comes up to the chamber area on the carrier. That's easy to fix as I reload my own.

I have yet to see stellar accuracy. In fact it seems rather dismal. I have heard the barrel needs a few rounds through it to smooth the barrel before it will shoot. What kind of accuracy are others getting? I expect less than 6 inches at 50 yds since all my Winchester and Winchester clone levers shoot that well. In fact most of them shoot 3 inch or smaller groups at 50 yds (five shot groups, five groups, averaged).

Also I resorted to Cowboy lead bullets (I hate cast lead bullets as they make a mess inside any barrel) thinking the bullet shape was stopping the feeding. That assessment was wrong (see above). I may try going back to my favorite Hornady XTP bullets I use in my levers after I am assured they will feed properly in the Taurus Thunderbolt.

The gun is beautiful. I always wanted one but could not justify the collector prices. I knew going in that the Lightning design was flawed compared to the Winchester levers, at least for feeding reliablity. I think the action had to be so complicated to avoid the Winchester/Browning patents. I have had mine toally apart multiple times and it is indeed complicated and the timing of everything so critical, <unlike the simple John Browning designed levers that always work.> But I still like the gun for looks alone!

LDBennett
Had some of the same problems that and found hammer was to light for Winchester primers. It was as stiff as Plywood when new also. Also found OAL was critical to get it to function smoothly. I have shot Black Powder thru it and it looks pretty cool puffing smoke and flames. :D Now that the problems have been solved I have no intentions on ridding of it. In fact if Taraus quits making them doesn't bother me.:D

Accuracy for Cowboy shooting<ha> it always hit POA. Honestly never tried it any further. I did read an Article where the author was Deer hunting with his. Claiming accuracy to 100 yards.

Most of the problems I followed were in chambering and ejecting. Guns were being sent back and nothing was done to them and some were not even getting them back at all. Calls to they're office weren't helpful. I guess they pass the buck on them. Overall I think from what I could see was customer service was very Lacking. It really turned alot of folks away. Then they kept promising one in .38 that never materialized.

I have handled the Gaucho's, in the shops they just didn't feel like anything I would want. Caught me being a snob, just my preference.

#13 ·
Nice investigation, Rooster. So, I guess we should grab a Gaucho while we can.
Grab a model that's being discontinued? Chances are it's being discontinued becasue of the 1) lack of sales mostly and the reason of which is quite possibly becasue of 2) the QC issues with the brand.

Not nearly enough reason for me to even consider buying one.

#14 ·
UPDATE: Earlier I had alluded to an online clearinghouse for manufacturers who blows out pistols. They're called CDNN and they are indeed selling a stock of Taurus Gauchos, in a variety of calibers, from $289-$329 each.

They've got lots of other bargains too. Check them out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.