The Firearms Forum banner

Taurus Judge. Why.....

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  EL TORO 
#1 · (Edited)
...all the hype recently? A new version comes out every week and they are in all the magazines. Why? The Thunder 5 came out loooong ago and never got a following. Besides looking a bit better, I guess, I don't see the attraction when it's grand-daddy failed.:confused:

Not taking anything away from them, they are good guns, shoot ok and I've seen several go through the shop....but....why?

#3 ·
It shoots shot shells better than the 45 colt and it will shoot slugs and 45 colt ammo. It's a nice compromise for somebody who wants the versatility of a pocket sized handgun. I have shot them and for a close up and personal gun they are adequate. Not my first choice but there are worse choices out there.

#4 ·
high dollar fishin box guns if you ask my honest opinion. Yeah, theyre cool, fun to tear $#!+ up with, and even practical as a HD weapon, but then again, so are pistol grip shotguns, 1911 .45s, and homemade hand grenades:eek: did i just say that out loud:D... To each his own I suppose;)

#5 ·
I think the refined looks and price over the thunder 5 is what has made them a hit. It makes a heck of a nightstand gun. I have not regreted buying my 3 inch magnum. My friends are waiting to get theirs for about $250 on the secondary market. It will be interesting to see if they can get it done.

#6 ·
It shoots shot shells better than the 45 colt and it will shoot slugs and 45 colt ammo. It's a nice compromise for somebody who wants the versatility of a pocket sized handgun. I have shot them and for a close up and personal gun they are adequate. Not my first choice but there are worse choices out there.
I would understand if the concept was new, but it's not.

#8 ·
The right product at the right time with the right marketing. It doesn't have to be a brand new concept.
True statement. Like the old Tucker "Cyclopse Eye" headlight that turned with the steering....now some new cars are sporting this.

I believe most of Taurus' success is because of clever marketing. Showing women blowing up watermellons.

#9 ·
because we can.......really folks i can go thru all my guns of which now number over 100 and if i really wanted to be practical i would of gotten rid of a bunch of them.i have numerous rimfires and center fire rifles and pistols that the ballistics arent that far apart.i guess for me its why i dont and never have driven a stock vehicle,be it a truck or motorcycle.because i can,and i thank god we live in a country that we have so many choices.i dont think asking why is what we need to do but be thankful we can...........god bless america old semperfi

#11 ·
because we can......
Exactly, why do I need (11) 22's in the house or 4 Win 94's in 30-30 and 32 Win Spcl. and I can only shoot one 1911 45 at a time so 4 of them is overkill and why do I have both BB guns and air rifles...and pistols......because I can. Why don't I have more? Because I can't afford a bigger house. :D

#12 ·
I really think that the reason is that there are now a lot of younger people out there buying handguns for the first time. They want something that will get the job done, and not cost them an arm and leg. And it is somewhat versitile! But it don't float my boat!

#13 ·
Ya sure it's nothing but has Taurus ever made anything new? Everything they make is a copy of something else already made or an old idea Reintroduced with some fancy marketing. I own a Taurus Night Judge and I think it's a lot of fun to shoot and it didn't break the bank.

#14 ·
I was one of the first around here (Adirondacks) to purchase one of those ThunderFive things and I have not regretted it. I have used it to spook critters and kill rodents where a bouncing .22 might pose a hazard.

That said, I am thinking of picking up one of those Judge contraptions ever since a buddy showed up with his and let me handle/shoot/compare it. I think Taurus did that number just fine and the sales figures seem to buttress that assumption.

Why the concept at all? One word- versatility.

PS: Those new defense rnds. for that are impressive.

#15 ·
I must admit I was attracted by all the hype for the Judge. I fondled one at my favorite gun shop but it was way too big for my type of concealed carry and as a house gun, it won't do any better than my Mossburg 500 w/00 buck. However, facts never stopped me before and I have a lot of iron turning into classics in my gun safe that still have an emotional attachment to me. What really stopped me was my quest for a new 8 rnd. S&W, .357 mag., snubbie.

#16 ·
I must admit I was attracted by all the hype for the Judge. I fondled one at my favorite gun shop but it was way too big for my type of concealed carry and as a house gun, it won't do any better than my Mossburg 500 w/00 buck. However, facts never stopped me before and I have a lot of iron turning into classics in my gun safe that still have an emotional attachment to me. What really stopped me was my quest for a new 8 rnd. S&W, .357 mag., snubbie.
Like you, if I have to shoot someone with a load of shot, it will be from a 12ga.! If I have to use a pistol round it will be in the .45 class of bullets, as the Judge is. But my pistol will shoot those .45's with a lot more accuracy down range!

#17 ·
They come out with a new one every week because the sales demand it. Taurus has hit a home run with the Judge, whether you like it or not, they sell like ice water in the desert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.