Taurus M94 Transfer Bar Broke

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Mr_Shamrock, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Hankster

Hankster New Member

A real shame. we have two Taurus revolvers... a "689" (their 357 version of a Smith 686) and a 94 in .22... had them for 11 -12 years... not a single issue... is it the NEW ONES??? I've heard lots of dissing of Taurus.. but it almost ALWAYS, seems to be the NEWER Models!!!
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I'm pretty convinced that the quality has dropped off some in recent years...or at least their QC department is letting a lot more bad ones out the door.
    I've had good luck with my Taurus revolvers too...but like yours, they're all from the late-80s through mid-90s except for a '02 vintage 85 (which is one that I had timing issues with).
  3. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

I remember when 6-8 weeks was the warmup time for many repairs...in the USA...
    we've gotten a bit spoiled over the years, we expect everything Right Now...
    and that's why gun manufacturing is in the state its in now...
    Many companies have figured out that they can Microsoft their customers...
    send out crap and they'll suck it up...because only around 20% bother to send it back for repair...
    50% will just do nothing more than kvetch on the internet, without bothering to make a return...

So when there is a problem, it is best to make 'em fix it...if everyone did it,
    we'ed have better quality coming out...and far less repairs going in ;)

The downside of Taurus is they are a Brazilian company, which means the repairs have to be bundled in bulk,
    shipped, received, repaired in the order they come out of the large box, and then they sit & wait to be bulk-shipped back...
    however, since Taurus just acquired Heritage Revolvers...they are planning a repair facility in the USA,
    which should resolve the time issue as far as shipping overseas goes...
    giving them more "Fast Food-like" repair times...

Not that the speed helps...I've sent in three Rugers, two Vaquero's took several trips back & forth until they were right,
    then I promptly traded them off for Uberti's, which gave no problems at all...
    Went thru a different issue with my 1022T, which wouldn't group worth a dang...Ruger said it was "Within Tolerances"...
    If my old 1923 Marlin 37 can whoop it sideways at the range, you can't call it a Target Rifle...
    the 1022T got traded for a 1981 Yamaha XS400...because I expect a "Target" rifle to shoot better than 2" groups @ 25 yards...
    even needing a twin-carb job, it was still a better deal than a 1022T ;)
  4. K75RT

K75RT Member

This is due to poor heat treatment or poor metallurgy depend if the part is MIM or stock...
  5. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Active Member

older taurus firearms seem to have had decent quality,,(as in older then 10yrs) in the last 7yrs have had 11 taurus revovlers brought to me by friends and their friends that had VERY gritty trigger pulls. when opened they were FULL of machineing chips !!!??? dont know how they were even assembled with all the crap in them !!!! and had a couple that the sear engagement area was sooo off of square it surprised me they even worked.
    if i remember had several that i told the owners to return cause i wouldnt touch them with all the probs they had. all but 2 of the ones full of machineing chips were fine after cleaning and stoneing the actions.....
    so which was cheaper $450 for a gun that needed repair out of the box and the down time and agravation,,,, or $550 for a gun that was able to be used out of the box with no problems or down time ?????
    not trying to belittle anyone or the manufacterer but ,,,,,
    also only 3 of my guns were purchased new,,, and allll the others with mostly just cleaning or a very inexpensive parts replacement have been excellent shooters,,,, maybe not as shiney as a new gun,, but perfectly capable of doing the job
  6. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Also kinda funny that Rossi is owned by Taurus, but they seem to take a little more time in hand-fitting & cleaning...

Be glad you are sending that Taurus in before all heck breaks loose...you should get it back before January...
    which is going to be VERY important if Obama gets re-elected...as he plans to sign the UN Small Arms Treaty...
    What does this mean to You the Consumer???
    Pretty simple if you own ANY foreign guns...you won't get service or parts...you're DONE.
    All those CZ owners are going to be crying...same for anyone else who doesn't have a factory here...
    strangely enough, Taurus just acquired Heritage Arms...in Florida...so it looks like Taurus plans to take care of its US customer base...

If in doubt, read the Fine Print in the treaty...it is chock-full of BOHICA for gun owners...
    lack of parts and no longer being able to buy foreign guns is just the warm-up...
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  7. Mr_Shamrock

Mr_Shamrock New Member

Well a little good news - according to the Taurus site the repair has been completed. It is not showing as shipped, but getting fixed this fast is promising!
  8. Mr_Shamrock

Mr_Shamrock New Member

Oh yeah - it shows as shipped!!!!!
  9. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Good news.
  10. Mr_Shamrock

Mr_Shamrock New Member

I got the call from Fed Ex today saying it will be here tomorrow before 7PM. Good thing I work from home tomorrow!
  11. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like some pretty decent customer service to me!
  12. Mr_Shamrock

Mr_Shamrock New Member

Repaired firearm inspection

I should be receiving my Taurus M94 back today from being repaired and was wondering what the general consensus is on tearing down a firearm that has been repaired for inspection.
  13. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Re: Repaired firearm inspection

Why not. Your just going to look at it. I dont see a problem. That is unless you didnt know what you were doing....
  14. Mr_Shamrock

Mr_Shamrock New Member

Re: Repaired firearm inspection

I plan on popping the side plate off, but was just wondering what others opinion were on double checking the manufacturers repairs.
  15. Mr_Shamrock

Mr_Shamrock New Member

I have the gun back in my possession - 3 weeks from the day I shipped it. I have nothing to complain about there. I did inspect the weapon and they did not change the trigger or hammer so this was a repair I could have done without sending it in. The chip on the hammer I guess is supposed to be there even though it is real ugly machining - actually I can't even call it machining. It looks like some monkey with a hammer and chisel chipped it out. Oh well - it seems to function although I haven't shot it yet. As long as it works reliably I am not that concerned with the aesthetics of the inner workings so much. So I have to give Taurus a big A+ on their repair process!