Taurus PT 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Bill, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Bill

Bill New Member

Went to the store to buy a 40 cal P99 Walther that I previously posted about. The salesman informed me that he bought it. So here I am ready to buy a gun standing in front of a gun case with about 2 dozen 1911's being displayed.
    I asked him what was the best bargain in the case. He went for the Taurus 1911 and spent a good 10 minutes describing it's attributes. At $529 new I figured it was worth trying out and bought it. Came home and have read mostly favorable reviews on the internet. Hope to check it out on the range soon. Anybody have experince with this relatively new offering??
    Bill
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

They are supposed to be great bang for the buck and a decent gun over all
  3. Buzz

Buzz New Member

Hi I recently purchased the PT 1911 and haven't shot in a long time and have been searching for new pistol. A friend of mine recommended the Pt 1911 because of the reviews .I went to the Gun Stores site to see if they had any info on it and they were offering an incredible of 399.00 on the first 25 pistols they ordered. They said dely in about two weeks, The factory rep was at thier store and let them shoot it on the range everyone was impressed. So on my friends advice{He was the former pistol buyer for that store} I ordered one I read the reviews and thought about it and ordered another one. Within 7 days I picked up my pistols went to the range and fired one . No malfunctions steady trigger pull ( Very Heavy)_nice finish and all the options I could want , at 25 feet every shot went where I wanted it to go and grouped within 2" . The checkering on the front of one of the pistols had a small flaw in it. The other upon closed examination is cleaner with out any flaws and the trigger seems to be lighter. I only put 200 rounds through it. The polishing job on the barrel and ramp will feed empty cases. So far so good!!!!!!!! I will fire the pistol some more before deciding what to do with the heavy trigger pull. In the meantime the other one will stay in the new wrapper. They already raised the price on the pistol to 459.95 Im sure they will go to about 549.00 when word gets out..
  4. Bill

Bill New Member

First range test was very positive. On one occasion I blasted about a one inch hole at 25 ft with 5 shots destroying the one inch stick on dot.

I found that when loading the magazine, on occasion, the top round would rub on the protruding lug of the slide lock. This caused the bullet to point down and hit square on the ramp causing lockup. A few minutes of filing with my knife sharpening stone seems to have cured the problem. My trigger is excellent. I'm confident that it's in the 3-4 lb range and likely closer to 3. Very happy with the PT1911 despite the one flaw that was easily corrected. Hopefully I'll be on the range soon and will report anything that might be interesting to potential buyers.
    Bill
  5. southernshooter

Sounds good dude all new guns have to be broke in (or broken:eek: ):) So fileing on the mag ain't bad
  6. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 New Member

sounds interesting

anyone know what one of these would go for used in stainless?
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

thunderstruck507:

They were just released in the last few months! They are brand new to the market. There are no USED ones and if I found one I would suspect it was a lemon if it was bought and sold so soon.

LDBennett
  8. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

There was a time when Taurus was considered junk. Those days have LONG passed, as clearly evidenced by their Millenium Pro, but particularly this fabulous PT 1911. In my world, I am surrounded by gun snobs, with their pinkies hoisted firmly in the air, and only a select few, ultra high priced maufacturers being worthy of their time and consideration. To these upper crust, know-it-all's Taurus is beneath their erudite and refined tastes. Too bad for them that their noses are stuck too far in the air for them to be able to see such an amazing, perhaps market changing weapons like the PT 1911. This one's special.

As a matter of full disclosure, I am the President of a large, regional security officer company, and due to the value of Taurus guns, I supplied all my armed officers with Taurus .38 revolvers (the only style and caliber that the State of Florida would permit until the summer of 2005 - now, .380's and 9mm semi-auto's are ok if you specifically qualify with those models, but .38's are still the default weapon). So, I've had experience with Taurus quality at our company shooting competitions, and have been favorably impressed.

Having heard all the hype, read all the glowing reviews, and lacking a 1911 in my personal collection, I had to go see one for myself. My favored gun dealer had just ONE in stock - in the back stockroom, for repeat customers who specifically ask for one - which either speaks to its lack of large distribution, or its wild popularity. My sources maintain that it is now the latter, where six months ago it was the former.

Well, I handled it for about three minutes, looked at the price tag, and pulled out my Am Ex. SOLD! I stole it for $515.00!! WOW!!!!!!!

I shot 16 rounds immediately after the sale and it was just an incredible experience. The trigger pull, the manufacturing tolerances and quality, and features will blow you away, especially when you take another look at your receipt. I recommend this firearm highly. You will not be disappointed.

I look at Taurus the way I look at Hyundai. It's a manufacturer that has snuck up on sleepy competitors with a lethal combination of great quality, great warranty, and great price. I suspect that other gun maufacturers are losing sleep at what Taurus is doing of late, and well they should. Toyota and Honda were just surpassed this year by Hyundai in a national quality survey. Hyundai and Taurus are proof positive that you need not pay absurd premiums to get a high quality product.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  9. southernshooter

10. carbinefred

carbinefred New Member

hey,
    i purchased my a few weeks ago and i love it.it's really a custom made pistol
    and for the price you can't beat it anywhere
    carbinefred
  11. kansas45

kansas45 New Member

My PT1911 has over 3500 rounds of no problem rounds through it. I bought it in August & have found this to be a very enjoyable pistol.
  12. 1911Kid

1911Kid New Member

I just placed an order for the stainless one from my local dealer. I have held the Blued version and like it very much. My FFl does not know when the gun will be shipped however, I am excited that i will be getting one ASAP. When i receive it i will give you guys a range report.

1911Kid
  13. raveneap

raveneap New Member

Surprised that your dealer could order one as they haven't come up with a release date as yet. The original release for the PT1911 was ShotShow 2005and it took them well over a year to finally ship the blue. I put my name in as soon as they were announced at SS2005 and finally was able to get one online last month! Well worth the wait but I wouldn't hold my breath for the stainless. Hope I'm wrong..
  14. 1911Kid

1911Kid New Member

My Dealer deals primarily in Taurus handguns and already has several of the blued in stock. I asked him about the stainless and he called the factory to place an order. The factory filled the order but could not guarantee the date that it is to be shipped. So I do not know for sure when it will be sent but i have this one on pre-order. I am predicting at the latest February, but who knows. I have the money saved up so all I have to do is wait for it to be shipped.

1911 Kid
  15. afdrookie

afdrookie New Member

+1 for the
    Taurus