Taurus PT111 Millenium

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Altrisk, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Altrisk

Altrisk New Member

Here is a copy of the mail I sent to Taurus in Brazil about my PT111 that cracked the frame. Taurus USA will not help non-US buyers and Taurus Brazil did not even bother to answer me back.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

"In 1999, I bought a Taurus PT111 millenium from Bren Arms (supplied by Nicholas Yale in JHB). Last Saturday I went shooting and something pinched my hand. On scrutiny I discovered a crack in the frame, about 6 mm long. This opens up every time I fired the gun.

My no is TRF19760

On the internet I discovered that this happens quite regularly and that Taurus replaces the frames that crack. Is it safe to fire this gun and what must I do to get a new frame??? Here follows an extract that I found on the internet:

"The problems lay within the PT Millenium series of pistols only... the revolvers are fantastic. If you have a Taurus revolver, you can be confident in it. If you have a PT Millenium series auto... read carefully. The problems started appearing in the PT111 9mm pistol with the shearing of plastic pins that connect the steel subframe to the polymer outter frame. The pin shearing occurs after a high number of rounds are fired. Soon the 40 cal version started to show this problem as well. These pistols have 3 pins that connect the frames. Take a close look at your pistol and examine these pins.

Now the PT145 has a different problem, but a similar cause. In the 145 pistols, generally at around 600 rounds, some frames have started to crack.

The cause of these issues lay in the subframe. It extends into the dust cover just a touch too far. The result is the slide cycling back and impacting the subframe. This hammering does nothing at first, but over time weakens the polymer frame and the results are fractures.

The upside is that Taurus has fantastic customer service and will replace the frames for you. However that just isn't quite good enough. The returned guns will still have the same problems as it seems Taurus has done nothing to solve the problem."
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I wish I knew how to help you, dude.

How long ago did you send the letter to Taurus? I've heard that they are sometimes slow at processing stuff, though that's secondhand information (at the very best).

I hate to say this, but you might just be out of luck.
  3. tdyoung58

tdyoung58 New Member

How many rounds have you fired through it. I own a PT 745 Mill Pro, and have close to 500 rounds through it with no problems. I've heard that the earlier models had problems like this and that Taurus has fixed them and the problem that was causing it