Taurus PT145 Magazine Not Seating in Well

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Burbank, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Burbank

Burbank New Member

I have 4 mags for my PT145 Millennium compact .45

It came with two mags. One of the two magazines was nose diving and would FTF after about the 5th or 6th cycle. The other mag was flawless.

I sent the defective magazine back to Taurus for a replacement, as well as requesting two additional mags. I assumed that this was just a one off problem, and hoped to not experience anymore difficulties.

After receiving the three new magazines I no longer experienced FTF issue. However, the firearm is having difficulty ejecting an empty mag.

One mag ejects fine when empty, two other magazines will partially eject, but not drop from the well, and the last magazine has to be forcefully removed by hand from the mag well when the release is cleanly pressed.

In addition to the ejection malfunction. None of the 4 mags properly seat with reasonable force. I usually have to double tap when casually loading a mag (very frustrating).

I hope someone can advise me on whether or not I have an issue with the mag well, or the magazines themselves?
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Sounds like magazine issues. These guns are billed as 10+1 in .45 ACP (unless you have the 6+1 version). Will the mags seat properly when not loaded to full capacity?
  3. Burbank

Burbank New Member

Thanks Stone. These are the 10+1. I am glad you asked whether or not they seat properly when not loaded to full capacity, this is something I have not tested.

So I did..
    All 4 mags seated perfectly with only 9 rounds loaded. So I guess I have the option of 9 round mags with smooth/reliable reload or 10 round mags with unreliable reload.

That still leaves me with the mag ejection issue with 3/4 mags. There have been 5 brand new mags (4 that I have now and the 1 that I sent back) tested and 4 of those 5 had ejection issues, leads me to believe there may be an issue with the mag release or mag well.

I REALLY do not want to have to send my firearm to Taurus though. For obvious reasons. Minimum 5 weeks without it... :eek:
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Sorry, welcome to the world of taurus. Sounds like your mag well is distorted and it will probably have to go back for them to correct. They will probably shave off some of the surface internally but then you'll end up with loose fitting mags. Your one mag with the feed issue, Taurus probably distorted so it would drop right but ended up ruining the feed capabilities of the mag.
  5. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

So we've solved the mag seating issue, then. My next question is whether you have taken new empty magazines and have the drop-free problem when empty. If you have been filling them with 10 rounds and forcing them to lock in you may have been bulging your magazine bodies.
  6. Burbank

Burbank New Member

Well I have to honestly say that when I received the new magazines I immediately loaded 10 round in each so that I could cycle them through the chamber. So if doing so bulged the magazines then that could explain why NONE of the new mags will fully eject when empty. However, I am skeptical that this is the problem. A 10 round mag should be able to hold to rounds without bulging so consistently. But hey, I could be wrong. All I know is that in a reload situation I could face serious issues.

I called Taurus today. Horrible customer service. This was the second time I called, as I mention earlier I called to send the mag back and order two additional ones. The first time I called was amazing customer service with a gentlemen named Mike. This time, I had a lady that was so unhappy to be doing her job that I could not even understand her name as she mumbled it as she answered the phone.

So I think I have decided that I am going to purchase a single mag from

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/taptmipro451.html

They are only $30 compared to what I believe was like $80 from Taurus. If this mag works fine, I am going to buy more and return the 2 that I purchased from Taurus.

I will try your suggestion of testing the unloaded mags first to see if bulging could be the culprit. I would hate to only be able to load 9+1 though. But hey at least I could buy 3 mags for the price of 1! :)
  7. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

I agree. Taurus should not advertise 10+1 when practically speaking they are 9+1. Not the first time we've seen this problem with Taurus Pro-series pistols.
  8. Burbank

Burbank New Member

Thanks Stone. I did not realize others were having this issue.