The Firearms Forum banner

Taurus PT1911 Test Of Time

Tags
3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  rcairflr 
#1 ·
Hello

After 7 years in the market what say you, has your PT 1911 lived up to the advertising claims?

I've had mine since 08 and to date I have shot about 18K round through it with out a break-in period and with out any FTF or FTE that I can not attribute to my own reloads, I've ran about 1500 rounds of Winchester white box ammo with no hiccups, 500 SD double tap 230 gr gold dots which is what I keep it loaded with, and about 16K of my own 225 RNFP Magnus lead projectiles over 5.0 gr bulls eye powder.

I change out the springs in 5000 round counts, and inspect the MIM fire control under magnification with out noticing any diminishing characteristics to the sear, hammer hooks or disconnector.

I don't have a higher priced 1911 to compare it to but I'm completely satisfied with it, I did initially have to get Taurus to send me a new ambi-safety when mine broke but the contacts that I've had with the customer service has been met with courtesy and promptness, I got the new safety with in a weeks time (No Complaints).

I'm hoping to get another 18K round through it before I change out the MIM parts, in all honesty I have tried to prove the nae sayer right but failed and probably put my gun through hell needlessly, this 1911 reminds me of the Timex watches (takes a licking and keeps on ticking) roger out.

See less See more
#8 ·
I own one too and its a great shooter...they are really some of the best buys for the money..of course shooter45 would tell you to go with the spartan over the taurus and he may be right, but, they are both good guns.

#9 ·
I have perhaps 1500 through mine, maybe a bit more, after the first couple of hundred I went through it looking for any abnormal wear thinking that maybe it wouldn't hold up, and I wanted to see if there were any early warning signs. I was pretty pleased to see that it looked like it would hold up for thousands of rounds without trouble. I am happy to see the amount of rounds Cuba has had through his.

I have wanted and meant to order a stronger spring so that I'm not beating it up with higher pressure defense loads. If softer loads work well stiffer loads are beating things up. I used to use full out competition customs that would get beat to death if you didn't use a stiffer spring when not shooting target loads.

#13 ·
Since it is an old thread, I'll go off topic and take the opportunity to ask a question.
The Op stated he changes his springs every 5000 rounds.
How many rounds can someone expect a 1911 to go without breaking any springs?
I have a Colt Gold Cup Trophy and a Dan Wesson Silverback.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.