Taurus pt1911 vs. Para Gi Expert

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by wekarl, Mar 2, 2011.

1. wekarl

wekarl New Member

Hi, I am looking for a new 1911 for around $600. Would the gi expert or the pt1911 be a better choice? I would be using it primarily for target / recreational. Money is an issue which is why I need to keep it around $600. Thanks in advance.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

STI Spartan;). Para has been slipping in quality much like Taurus has been in quality control. If you ever want to upgrade to better parts, the Para is going to be hard to work with. They have there own specs so your choices are limited. The Taurus is at least built to 1911 specs so aftermarket parts will fit just fine.
  3. DGG!

DGG! New Member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  4. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

Of those two options I would go with the Taurus.
  5. allmons

allmons New Member

I would agree that the Taurus is the better option, but let me throw this monkey wrench into the works - my son bought a new Taurus PT 1911 on Friday, 25 February. Brought it home, cleaned and inspected it, took it to the range. First 16 rounds ran flawlessly. Then, the ejector just quit working. On Monday, 28 February, it was UPS'ed to Florida for repair.

Now he has to listen to me reminding him that my Rock Island 1911 clone has been running without a hiccup for the last year.
    ;)

And it cost less than the Taurus. Did I mention it is still working?

:D
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

typical taurus quality control right there. How bout this. Customer after much encouragement not to, buys taurus. This one is NY and MD approved so it has the fired casing. Well that was the only shot it ever fired bc the firing pin was stuck in the slide from then on afterward. Guy goes to the range and it does nothing. Comes back to complain to the sales guys. They give it to me. The firing pin retainer was so jacked that it wasn't even lined up with the firing pin channel. The pin was just wedged in there now. I put a colt retainer in it and it ran ever since. Its all about getting them out the door at Taurus evidently.
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I must end up with all the good tauruses. I own a 1911 a 24/7 and a mil pro and they are all pretty much flawless. Their 1911s are good shooters right outa the box. At least thats my experience. Some of the revolvers I have been getting for the shop have been real dirty. I am embarrased to display them so I run a patch thru them. Thats my only complaint.
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Don't get me wrong, its not all of them and its one of the first 1911's Ive seen with a issue from them but somewhere in that assy plant there is someone so cheap they won't throw out a crappy firing pin retainer. I don't even see how they got it on. Revolvers is another story. Yep they are dirty and I've seen quite a few with rough cylinder lugs. I have a PT92 from them. After they fixed the barrel issue it runs like a champ.
  9. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I've mentioned this before on TFF but I'll say it again. I own a Para GI Expert. It's not a bad pistol so far but after about 200 rds through it the slide loosened up a lot to the point that it rattles if you shake it. It makes me wonder if it's due to excessive wear of inferior materials. I've fired approximately 1000 more rds and so far the looseness hasn't affected accuracy.

Of the two choices I'd go with the Taurus. They have a few more bells and whistles like better sights and ambi thumb safety. Everyone I have talked to that owns one has had nothing but good to say about them. They have a reputation as being very tight shooters. From peronal experience I know that Taurus from time to time has quality issues but here's the thing, they offer a lifetime warranty. (Para offers no warranty by the way). If you have to send it back back to Taurus they are a bit slow, taking about six weeks on average to get it back to you, but I personally am happy if it's fixed right.

I will put in a plug for one that you didn't mention; RIA. RIA is a quality product at a very reasonable price. RIA has been making 1911's since WWII. They have an exceptionally good feel to them and are very reliable. Fit and finish seems better than Para and they sell for the same price. My only complaint is the sights. They are the very low like the original 1911 design and for me a little harder to see. I want to replace mine with night sights but will have to take it to a gun smith as the FSB is staked rather than dovetailed.
  10. wekarl

wekarl New Member

Thank you all for your advice.....it is greatly appreciated.
  11. 1911 man

1911 man New Member

the taurus is just fine in quality, ive never had a problem with them
  12. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I've got 4500 rounds through the stainless Taurus that I own and haven't had a problem with it yet. I'd go with a Taurus versus the odd specs that Para uses for their guns.
  13. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

I have a Taurus 1911 and absolutely love it holds better groups than my Springfield which was customized slightly. Also have 5 or 6 more Taurus but they're all wheel guns. All have worked great and I love each one. I've talked with a couple of guy's who have purchased Rem's new 1911 and like them too. Considering I am a Rem guy it's only a matter of time and I will own that one as well.
  14. farcus

farcus New Member

Ive had a Taurus 1911,thought it was ok.Ive never fired a GI Expert,but have shot P18,P14,Carry 9,and a fullsize Para LDA .45.Found them all to be extremely accurate and reliable guns.
  15. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I think I'd go with the Taurus. But as Helix said, the STI Spartan comes highly recommended. Shooter45 posted about it before too and it sounds like a really great gun for the money.