Taurus PT92... all junk or just mine?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Stays_Crunchy, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Stays_Crunchy

Stays_Crunchy New Member

I'm relatively new to the firearms hobby. It started with my general interest in WWII which somehow mysteriously turned into me buying a gun safe and filling it with an Arisaka T99 rifle, German Kar98, M1 Carbine, and an M1 Garand.

Anyway, I decided I wanted to venture into the world of handguns. Just something to put holes in paper out at the range, not WWII collectors like my rifles. I did alot of research first and I narrowed it down to either a 1911-style or M9-style. After talking to people and reading numerous internet forums, I came up with the Taurus PT92. Price was a consideration of course, but I also found out that quite a few people actually prefer it over the more expensive Beretta that it copies. So I bought one and...

... I hate it.

I'll start with my small gripes and work my way up. First off I will say that I loved the way the gun looked and felt. The overall build quality was excellent and it had a very nice heft to it.

The problems started right when I tried loading it. Pushing rounds into the magazine is no simple matter. I could only get 10 rounds or so into either of the magazines that came with it before it was nearly impossible to cram any more in. I'm not exactly a little guy either, I'm 6' 7" tall and I have giant hands, but there comes a point where your fingers are turning red and you think to yourself that maybe forcing rounds into a magazine like that maybe isn't the safest thing in the world.

So I resolved myself to the fact that these are now officially 8 round magazines instead of 16. OK that's fine, I can live with that. So I take it out to the range. Now I may not be the sharpest shooter in the West, but when every shot I make is placed a good 6" - 8" to the right of where I'm aiming at 25-yards, something ain't right.

But here's the reason I hate this gun. After only putting about 40 rounds through it, it started jamming every other shot. I tried it with full magazines (well, 10 rounds full anyway) and I tried it with 2 or 3 rounds. The most it went without jamming was 2 shots. I was using brand new commercial rounds from Cabelas, not reloads. I took it home, cleaned it, (it wasn't dirty) and took it back out. You guessed it: It still jammed every other round.

I don't know, maybe I was doing something wrong, but when you take a brand new pistol out of the box and shoot it I don't see what there is there to screw up honestly. I heard bad things about Taurus guns that were made 20 years ago, but I've only heard good things recently. Well any of you out there who are thinking of buying one of these I'd say go ahead... I got the bad one out of the way for you.

(Oh, just make sure you don't accidentally pick mine up from the pawn shop where it lives now. :D I traded it in for a 1911.)
  2. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

I've heard some bad things from some people I respect lately about the quality of Taurus semiautos. Perhaps you just got a bad one, but their QC lately seems to be suspect.

If I were you, I'd've traded that Taurus in on a Glock 17 or 19.
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

sorry to hear of your problem. it almost sounds like your gun was not new. dunno. i have seen aftermarket clips that dont hold the same number of rounds. i have also seen pistols that never give a problem all of a sudden jam like crazy. i had a smith do me this once and the extractor had to be reprofiled. worked great after.

well that is why i dont like to buy guns at showes or pawn shops. i have learned to buy new "never transfered" guns from dealers. and i like to pick a company with a good warranty. once you buy the gun the sale is final, without a good warranty your screwed.
  4. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

Not sure what to think. I have bought 3 different Taurus guns in the last couple of months and am not having any feed issues. My 15 round .40 mags are a bit stiff and would only hold 14 rounds. My fingers were getting sore so I bought a UpLula mag loader and man is it really nice. Were you using hollow points or ball ammo? I have heard that some guns don't feed some hollow points very well. It has something to do with the differences in the size of the opening, the edges, etc. It could also be that you got a hold of a clinker.

Old Guy
  5. Stays_Crunchy

Stays_Crunchy New Member

It was definitely a new gun, never fired or registered. Maybe I just got a bad one or something, who knows.

One of the things that drew me to it was that when I held it and really gave it the once-over in the gun shop, I was very impressed at the quality. Everything seemed to fit real tight, it felt good in my hands, and the parkerzing (or bluing or whatever it's called) was nice and uniform. I really kinda fell in love with it right away, but like most first loves this one was not meant to be! :p

Anyway, I traded it (plus a few bucks more) for a used Springfield Armory 1911. It's technically used but it could easily pass for new, the previous owner probably didn't put many more rounds through it than I did my Taurus! I haven't fired it yet (I live in the city so I have to go to the range and I haven't had a chance) so hopefully this one turns out a little better...
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  6. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

A friend of mine has a PT-92, and yes, the stock mags are a pain to load. It seems to be fairly accurate with FMJ rounds (I think we used 115gr the last time we shot it), and we never had any problems with it jamming. He has had a problem with the mag release breaking, and he hasn't bothered having it fixed. Right now he just has the mag duct taped into the grip and uses it as a single shot. I keep trying to get him to fix it, because if he needs to use it for defense, the bad guy isn't going to wait for him to drop another round into the chamber. It does seem like their quality control is a little iffy.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have never owned the PT92 myself, a friend has one and says he loves it. Said that it was accurate and dependable. I used to have a PT111 (I think that was the model) and I never had any problems with it at all. I think I was lucky on that count. I really don't think that I would ever buy another Taurus Semi-automatic because of all the horror stories I have heard about them in the past couple of years. I have absolutely no problems buying a revolver from them, though!
  8. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

I have had a PT-92 for 10 years and never experienced any of the problems stated above. Would it be possible that QC is not that good recently?
  9. DEADEYE1964

DEADEYE1964 New Member

I think that is exactly what it is QC. Go to their forum www.taurusarmed.com , they have a complaint thread and you will find out how others corrected the problem. Taurus has had a lot of problems of late and it does not seem to be getting any better.
  10. ronrrm

ronrrm New Member

Ditto...I have a PT-92 and I love it.

My brothers M&P9 Smith jams all the time; its really picky about the LOA. We have to load 1.57-1.60 to get constancy out of the M&P...the PT-92 NEVER JAMS. I put 200-300 rounds through it every weekend at the range. The mags are not a problem with the HK loader, I can do a 17 round mag in seconds. I have a over the top loader for the 20 round mags; never a problem.

Accuracy wise, the PT92 is dead on with a hold over picture at 25'

You must have picked up the one that was put together at the end of the late shift...that really sucks; I think I bought cars that were built on that shift.

Too bad you had to trade it...sorry to hear about you getting a bad deal...
  11. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

And you ended up with a Taurus auto? :eek:

;)
  12. Stays_Crunchy

Stays_Crunchy New Member

lol, yeah. :D Like I said, I had heard bad things about older Taurus guns and to be honest Taurus wasn't my first choice just because of that. But I searched around on some forums like this one and others, and I heard mostly good things about the PT92. Oh well, such is life I suppose.

My Springfield 1911 is pretty badass though! :D
  13. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

I have had several of the Taurus autos, mostly older models. My newest one is a PT101SS, it is a year old now. As with most autos, the first thing and most likely always seem to stem around the magazine. Having that much trouble loading the mags I would suspect something was a miss there. This of course does not explain your trouble shooting it accurately. I have taken a bunch of javelina with my PT99 at varying yardages. I to have heard the complaints about Taurus autos as of late. It does look suspicious that the number of complaints is rising. It would be sad to find Taurus going by the way of QC problems, with such a great start and some very well thought out innovations to a quality firearm but I guess it could happen.
  14. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

You shouldn't be having any issues a year in. My USP was bought used, made like 10 years ago, I have owned it for a year- no problems!

As to accuracy, everyone will shoot guns differently. For example, I can shoot an XD better than both a Glock (which I had shot for 7 years) and the USP I ended up buying. Other people get their best accuracy on a Glock, or on a USP. Accuracy problems can be as simple as matching the right gun to the right shooter.

The understanding I have had since I started shopping for a pistol a year ago is Taurus revolvers are worthy, but stay away from the Taurus autos. Whether that is fair or not I know not. But it appears it may be panning out that way?
  15. artabr

artabr New Member

My first PT 92 problem was when one of the locking lugs sheared off of the locking block. Put in a new block. Everything ran fine for a while.
    Then the barrel CRACKED about ¾ of the around. :eek:
    This was right at the stepdown between the chamber and the barrel itself.

I'll pass on the Taurus.

Art