Taurus PT92... all junk or just mine?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Stays_Crunchy, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Empty Clip

Empty Clip New Member

I too own a PT92. Owned for over 15 years and with about 2,000 rounds thru it, only a couple of jams. Mine were after a few days shooting without cleaning the thing up. I like the pistol and the ergonomics as it fits my hand well. Sorry you had problems with yours.
  2. EL TORO

EL TORO New Member

Hi everyone...new guy here...My experience with the Taurus line of handguns has been limited to the PT92 & it's various incarnations as well as the newer PT1911.

I have owned one or more PT 92's and or the PT 917C since their inception in 1980. I have also owned Beretta 92's also since 1980. In 1980, the PT92 was made on Beretta machinery in a Beretta plant in Brasil. They were the SAME GUN back then. Since then, both Beretta and Taurus have changed (improved?) the 92. At this point, I prefer the Taurus version due to the frame mounted safety, which was the original way the safety was mounted. If you search the internet, you wil fine very little bad written about the Taurus PT92. It has been the consistent bright star in their lineup & still is. I'm sorry for your problems with yours, however, even Rolls Royce has mechanics to repair that great car if something goes wrong. At the very least, sounds like you may have defective mags. Contact Taurus and I'm sure your issues can be resolved. They even pay shipping to Miami both ways.

My experience with the PT 1911 has also been good, and they are among the very few that make a full size 1911 with an alloy frame, PT1911AL. I love it too.

My everyday concealed carry gun is the Taurus PT917 C with 17+1 rounds and a reload with a 20 round mag. All my 92's and 1911's from Taurus have been flawless throughout the years...
  3. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

I recently purchased a stainless Taurus 617, .357 mag., 7 rnd. wheel gun. I think it looks beautiful and it shoots great. However, I am a little disappointed in it's build quality. Specifically, the cylinder seems to have more play in it than any of my S&W wheel guns or for that matter my Rugers. I was telling a friend in a gun shop and he said it might seem that way uncocked but when you cock it the play would be gone. I went home and tried it. Same thing. As I said, it seems to shoot just fine so maybe I shouldn't be concerned. Just sayin.
  4. scudrunner

scudrunner New Member

I had a PT908 that was that way GOD I HATED THAT DAMN THING!!

I purchased it used from a guy I was in the National Guards with, he did tell me what it was doing.

It would jam every other stinkin' round!!

Took it to two very good gun smiths....same issue!!! :mad:

I finally called Taurus one day and told them EVERYTHING, how I got it used and what it was doing. They told me to send it back, which I did. A few weeks later they sent it back fixed at NO CHARGE (except for shipping one way) and I have NEVER had one issuse with it since!! :eek:

I even abused it, shot hundreds of rounds through it with out cleaning it, oiled it heavy, shot it more!! NOTHING WENT WRONG!!!

I cannot say enough good about Taurus and their warrenty!!!

I own 3 and they all work great!
  5. wajidshah

wajidshah New Member

I like the jun
  6. Will Plugum

Will Plugum New Member

I've had three Taurus handguns a S/S PT92, .357mag and .38 snubnose. All functioned perfectly, never had an issue with any of them. My PT92 was an older model, bought it new about 10 years ago, sold it a few years ago. Wish I would have kept it now. i don't remember having problems loading the clips.
  7. Mario411

Mario411 New Member

I love my PT92, BUT it did/does jam when I fire (or try to anyway) hollowpoints. The reason I have found is taurus did not harden the aluminum feedramp. The angle of feed is such that the rounds catch on the JHP edge and DIGS IN! I'm haning the local `smithy send the ramp out for a polish and hard chroming (or nitriding) whichever he recommends. I want to fire JHPs and not just FMJs.
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

That may or may not fix the problem. Its the angle of the fed round that causes the problem. A polished feed ramp only helps in reliability. If you have a dead hit, then its a dead hit and the feed angle needs to be changed or switch to a different hollow point with a slightly smaller opening.
    What you may be stuck with is that it now will ride the ramp up but it comes in a to high of a angle and get stuck when the round hits the top of the chamber and can't camber over to fully feed into the chamber. But thats just my .02, maybe it will work well ;)

BTW welcome to the forum. Let us know if that fixes your issue.
  9. old jeff

old jeff New Member

I realize that I'm late to this thread but feel compelled to respond.

Your first issue was magazine loading. Perhaps your magazines were 10 round magazines. They are made and there are limitations in some parts of this country on magazine capacity. You do not indicate where you purchased the Pistol. You did not confirm that you were not using 10 round magazines. It's possible that you received 10 round magazines with your purchase.

Hi-cap restrictions are here:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NoHiCapChemSpray.pdf

Then you indicate that after 40 rounds, it jambs every other shot? Additionally you state that it's shooting 6-8 inches off your aim.

There is no indication that you sought the assistance of an experienced pistol shooter or discussed the problems with the shop where you purchased the pistol.

What a shame, you more than likely are the victim of your own lack of understanding and experience.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  10. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

out of close to 100 guns i have owned. not one was a taurus.
  11. zb338

zb338 New Member

For people that have a hard time loading double stack magazines,
    there is a mag loader on the market called the uplula magazine
    loader. It is sheer magic. It will load almost any pistol magazine
    double or single stack. Try it, it is worth the couple of bucks that
    it costs.
    Zeke
  12. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

If you want a 92-get the original. Made in Italy.
  13. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

I staked my life on the original (M9), and I would do the same with my Taurus version. Same goes for my PT1911. Same goes for my wife's PT709. If I am in the market for a handgun, and Taurus makes something similar, I will by the Taurus every time.

As to what the OP went through, yes the mags are hard to load till you learn how to do it. I guess I learned fairly quickly reloading for myself and 50 other pilots and crewchiefs on range days. It doesn't matter how big and strong you are, it only matters that you do it correctly. This, as has been stated, can account for jams in more way than one. Not only can two rounds jam against each other, but trying to force feed rounds into the mag almost always does damage. I'm guessing that the 6"-8" off of aimpoint was in your technique, and not the gun. If I can still hit doubles with it consistently, anybody can do it.