Taurus PT92 barrel alignment

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Helix_FR, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Looking for advice or the opinion from another 92 owner. I recently bought a PT92 in SS. Took it to the range this week and it shoots 3 inches low at 25ft benched. I was Highly disappointed since I have heard such good things about the accuracy of the 92's. I took it home and while cleaning it I noticed that the barrel is resting on the bottom of the hole cut out for it in the slide. When I remove the recoil spring it will center itself but the spring when re installed will force it down. Even assembled the barrel is in the bottom of the hole. I laser borsighted it at 25 ft and its showing the barrel facing downwards b/c the distance grows the further out. I called Taurus and they said they would fix it under warrenty but then I have to go through the bs of shipping it to them on my dime, waiting 8 weeks then having it shipped back to a FFL so I can get it back. Before I go through this does anyone else notice this with theirs? Is the barrel centered in the channel? Do you notice when the recoil spring is added the barrel pivots downward?
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The key is how loose is the barrel with respect to the slide when the slide is closed. Can you move it around in the slide (vertically).

Shooting low is often related to the power level of the ammo you are using. Typically higher power ammo shoots lower at close pistol ranges. I'd try other ammo and rest the gun on sand bags while shooting to get an idea of how accurate the gun is. At 50 feet it should shoot five shot groups not much bigger than about 3 inches, I would guess. A really good gun will shoot one inch groups at 50 feet. The bottom line is how well the gun shoots. Before sending it back to Taurus I'd evaluate is accuracy first. I had a PT99 that was a good and accurate gun (my son snagged it several years ago). I think in general the Taurus 92/99 family of guns are good guns.

LDBennett
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

the barrel is tight but it can be moved up and down about a business card thickness and it will stay. When you close the slide the barrel is all the way down touching the receiver hole. You can push up on the barrel up and it will stay. It dosen't go up far (like I said a business card thickness) but it does go up. My experience with rifles is that you don't want any outside force touching the barrel or it can really mess with your grouping. This thing won't group for $&$*. 4 inches at best at 25 feet. My S&W 59 will do 1 inch at that free handed.
    Another thing I took note of is if I lay a straight edge across the front and rear sight simulating that they are perfectly aligned for shooting, the barrel actually drops at a downward angle by about a 10th of an inch. I'm thinking this is wrong.
    Thanks for the help LD.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

While your gun appears to be too loose in the fit of the barrel to slide, semi-auto pistols are not like rifles that like their barrels free floated.

These pistols are locked breech. That is, something locks the slide to the barrel and holds the barrel fixed to the frame during the initial stages of the bullet traveling down the barrel. In the case of the Beretta it is a wedge under the barrel that is operated by a pin against the frame. But the barrel must not move appreciably on the front end in order to have any accuracy at all. One of the 1911 fixes for better accuracy is to fit the barrel to a new bushing which is fit to the slide ... all with minimal clearances. The Taurus must have the barrel fit to the slide in lockup so that it has minimal movement. Your gun is faulty. Send it back.

Lately Taurus has a spotty reputation for service. I think your gun will never be fixed by them. The gun has no barrel bushing and the hole in the slide is the wear surface. If they can't get the hole right in your slide then they'll never get it right in any slide. You might consider returning it to the dealer in exchange for a different gun that you checkout before you take it home, for the fit of the barrel to the slide in lockup. Taurus 92/99's used to be a good gun but Taurus has issued some poorer guns lately and they may be having systemic problems with all their guns. My Taurus Thunderbolt (Colt Lightning rifle clone) and my Taurus Model 63 (Winchester Model 63 clone) both went through teething problems that I fixed myself. I am convinced the factory has some problems if they let poorly operating guns out to dealers. They are notoriously slow to deliver new products as well (I waited over a year for the Thunderbolt after the announced release date of the gun). Perhaps a gun from a different manufacturer would be a better choice. Approach the dealer you bought it from and maybe he'll help you out. He can send your 92 back for credit (??).

LDBennett
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I sent it back after speaking with a rep a Taurus. I bought the gun used but she said it was still under a year old when I gave the serial number. (I guess I know why it was traded) They let me ship it back on there dime and she said they would expedite it through repair. I'll believe that when I see it. I took all sorts of measurement and specs last night before I sent it back. The breech face was not at a perfect 90 degrees to the barrel. I also had lots of fouling in the trigger area noting to me a faulty barrel. I knew I should have stuck with the heavier CZ75.
    Thanks for your help once again LD.