Taurus Revolver Durability

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by SpaceBinks, Aug 27, 2012.

1. SpaceBinks

SpaceBinks New Member

Hello everyone. Have any of you had any experience with Taurus revolvers and their durability or lack of it? I am especially wondering about to M44 but not the tracker or Raging Bull. I have heard that they will go bad after a short amount of time, and i have heard others swear by them. Do any of you have any input?
  2. rogertc1

rogertc1 Member

3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

The internals are crude and undersized. Chances are the hand will become worn and the cylinder will fall out of time with the hammer and it will lock the trigger out. Before we even take a taurus in for repair or trade I'll pull the trigger about 20 times as fast as I can. Some do OK some lock out. I know some people swear by them but I wonder how much they are shot. For what its worth, internally they are garbage.
  4. rogertc1

rogertc1 Member

Where is the store u work at that you take them in amigo?
    The internals are crude and undersized..... you have the specs?
    I say Bull Poo. What say U?
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  5. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

Had this one over 20 years, no problems yet.

[​IMG]
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I completely agree with helixFR. Every taurus i have ever been in has had fitment issues. And thier customer service is lacking to put it nicely. They make mediocre guns for the casual shooter, but as for a durable reliable weapon, there are far better choices in my opinion.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Well, I would tend to believe Helix and JLA as they are both gunsmiths and have no reason to make up crap about Taurus. They have probably taken more guns apart than I would have ever even thought about!!

I have owned Taurus handguns for many years and have never had a problem with any of them and I defend Taurus. But then, I don't shoot thousands of rounds through any of my guns so I will never have one wear out
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i like taurus , with all the hassles theres always a buck to be made fixing them ;)

hey i cant help it , i like income and taurus do provide that ...
  9. SpaceBinks

SpaceBinks New Member

I can worry no more about Taurus durability.. I have ordered my first .44 magnum and it is a Ruger Super Redhawk. I dont have to worry about that one dying on me. ;)
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

the ruger will outlast you .. ;)
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Rugers are outstanding. Built like brick S***houses.
  12. SpaceBinks

SpaceBinks New Member

Those are both great examples of why I decided to get one. :D
  13. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

While I'm not an FFL holding 'smith, I agree with both Helix and JLA.
    I have owned (or still own) just under a dozen assorted Taurus revolvers and a couple of PT1911s. Helix is correct that the internals are pretty coarsely machined, but most all of em can be worked over to make a pretty decent working gun. I've only had one that would bind up (a mid-90s Model 66). Quality of the current ones have dropped off compared to the late-80s to mid-90s models though.
    Just don't ask the factory service department to do anything above and beyond how it came out of the box.

For the pricetag, I don't mind them but for not much more you can do better (I.E. Ruger).

I might also be in the minority but I prefer a Taurus over any of the current Smiths too. Both brands need a good amount of work to make a smooth working pistol but a Smith will costly nearly twice as much as an equivalent Taurus. but...that's just me.

Enjoy your new Super Redhawk. That is one bulletproof piece of machinery! Pics and a range report are mandatory for all new purchases. :D
  14. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I would have to go with helix and JLA on this one. A co worker had one and when we went out and shot it there were timing issues,,, big time and the gun was fairly new. Taurus customer service was terrible and it still holds that way today. I think the actions are sloppy for the most part. That is not to say that you can't find a good one but IMO i would not waste my time and money on a Taurus.
  15. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Stop by and I'll show you bossman. Specs compared to what? they are a crude representation of a smith. Open one up and compare it to a smith, ruger or colt. MIM parts that are rough as cast iron. If I get a call and someone says they have a revolver that is locking up or not firing, its a 70 percent chance that its a taurus. the remaining 30 is spread among all other manufacturers still in business or not. When they run, they run but he was asking about durability, its not there. Lifetime warranty? yep and they need it, but your gun does you no good at the manufacturer 8 weeks at a time. The best warranty is the one you never use.
  16. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Bravo, well said. I have never seen the internals of a Taurus but that is because I have never owned one. Maybe I will have to buy one used from someone and torture test it and see for myself. But, without a doubt it is obvious when I go into a gun shop a check the Taurus revolvers out. The actions leave a lot to be desired. But then again Helix, a Taurus revolver sure would make a nice paper weight to have on your bench. I'm just saying.;)
  17. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I got boxes of Tula ammo as paper weights:D I'm not trying to be a hater but when your in the line of work that myself, jla, goofy, jimk, gunplumber, bindernut, hammerslagger and others are in, someone says "Taurus".. your eyes kinda roll to the back of your head. We see the good, bad and ugly a lot. I have nothing bad to say about their 92's or 1911's. They work and run forever, but revolvers and plastics are a different story.
  18. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i've found wear around pins the pins are quite good and hard , the parts that move on them , not so much , now a gun that never gets dusty will be ok , a gun that get's carried by one of the rangers and gets iron dust or some hard particulates and it'll eat that metal

some wear and some dont but the ones that do ( in my short experience) are the ones exposed to harsh particulates , just something i noticed here back home when i did the NP rangers side arms ( taurus .44 mags ) the coastal blokes and limestone areas did not wear near as bad as the ironstone and carbide area ones
  19. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Guys, when someone asks for feedback regarding a particular weapon, it is not BASHING for someone to give them negative feedback on that weapon. If you own one and like it, POST that. Let the inquirer hear from BOTH sides and then make an informed decision.

Everyone has a different opinion about almost everything, and that is a GOOD thing. That is why you have your choice of many different makes, many different models, lots of different accessories and many different colors when you are looking at a new car.

You may love your Ford, while I would rather ride a bicycle than drive another Ford.
    You may think your Dell is a great machine, while I dispise them.
    And when someone asks advice about a car or a computer, you tell them why you LIKE Ford and Dell, and I will tell them why I HATE Ford and Dell.
    After hearing the reasoning both FOR and AGAINST, they stand in a good position to make an informed, intelligent decision.

And PLEASE stop reporting posts that hold a different opinion than yours.
    Different opinions are a good thing, not a bad thing.
  20. al45lc

al45lc New Member

I ran a gun shop with indoor range for 7 years, and I cannot say that ANY of the American manufacturers were all that good when it came to customer service for defects in workmanship and material.
    Ruger simply sucks, they were always a problem, S & W was little better along with Colt (6 times to return a Colt Pony for defective extractor issues? that's B.S.) Taurus was Ok, and Rossi was actually good.
    I've owned a Taurus PT-99 that was damn good, and an M-85 that was a tack driver for a snub.
    The 99 needed little work to refine it (I stone and polish all my handguns) but the 85 was rough. However, after the tuning, it shot like a champ and I used it to train many lady shooters, I considered it a fine carry piece for the ladies in fact.
    I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a Taurus, some are rough, but i can say that about Rugers too, I've owned 17 of those.
    Rossi's are really rough. It almost seems their policy is to sell 'em first and fix 'em when the customer complains.