The Firearms Forum banner

Taurus revolvers...experiences?

3K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  one3 
#1 ·
Anyone own one of these? I've heard good and bad about the brand but usually in relation to their semi-autos.

Reactions: carver
#2 ·
At the shop where I work, we carry the Judge, but no other Taurus product. The reason, I'm told, is that parts and customer service are practically unavailable. According to the owner, although most of the guns they make work great, when they break you're out of luck. Personally, I'd love to have a Judge, and wouldn't hesitate to buy any other Taurus product, if that was all I could afford.

Reactions: gunnut1215
#4 ·
I had a Model 66 back in the 80s and it was a fine gun. Nowawdays, I'm a little leary of them
Hit and miss on how they come out from the factory

I have, however bought within the last year two Rossi Revolvers, that were made after Taurus bought them out.
they seem to be pretty decent guns for the price

#6 ·
Good designs,,,
Lousy quality control from the factory.

You never know if you are getting a good one or a total turkey,,,
In recent years I have purchased 3 brand new revolvers,,,
Model 94, Model 970, and a Model 990.

Two had problems right out of the box.
The "Taurus Lifetime Warranty" did kick in,,,
And since they were new they paid the shipping.

But, it took forever to get the guns back (over three months each),,,
And one came back and it still had the same dang problem,,,
I had to send it back again and wait another 3 months.

It's a shame too as I really did like that 5" Model 94,,,
But it had timing problems from day one.

I might buy a used Taurus but only if I could range test it first,,,
Buying a new Taurus is a crap-shoot at best.

Aarond

Reactions: carver and AaronW
#7 ·
The only Taurus revolver I presently own is a Judge and I can say that I have not had any problems with it, but I have not put all that much ammo through it. Quite a few years ago I owned a 6 inch Stainless Steel .357 Taurus revolver that saw a lot of ammo and again I had no problem with that one, other than it was stolen during a house burglary.

#9 ·
I've had the Taurus 7-shot .357 mag in stainless for several yrs. It's always been reliable & in every way looks like a Smith K-frame except it's not quite as tight. Lately I've been seeing rust around the trigger & the edges of the Hogue grip which makes me suspect as to the quality of the stainless. I carry the gun loaded with 4-rounds of shot-shells & 3- rounds of .357 loads mainly for the sometimes overly aggressive snakes & gators that inhabit my favorite fishing lake. The rust appeared one day after I got caught in a quick shower & although the gun was under my shirt, it must have got a bit wet. I'm thinking of replacing it with a Mossburg 500 Mariner in stainless to keep in the rod locker of my bass boat.

#11 ·
I have no experiance with their revolvers just their semiautos. I wouldn't touch them. The guys at my LGS have some in stock but don't try to sell them. They steer customers to Rugers or Smith & Wessons.

#15 ·
My wife and several lady friends all own the little .38 snub nosed revolvers. From what I have seen, I really like them. Fit and finish is not just great, but for the price, I would buy my wife another one. I dont care for their semi autos though.

#16 · (Edited)
I have no experience with their revolvers as I'm a semi-auto guy. It's pretty obvious if you've read some of my posts that I am a big Taurus fan, but I come by that through experience. I have had two PT-92s that never had a single issue. One I personally put over 6000 rounds through and the other I put over 8000 rounds through. I lost both of them in divorces and, to my knowledge and utter dismay, they are both still shooting like they were when I had them. My wife and I now own a PT-809 and we have put just over 600 rounds through it and the only issues we had with it were when I intentionally limp-wristed it and when I ran it dry. That's it.
My FIL just got a PT-111 G2 and he loves it. For around $250 he got the pistol with 2 12 round magazines. He then purchased another magazine for it. He finds it very comfortable to shoot and the grip fits well. I have fired it and I was amazed how little recoil there was. The sights were easy to pick up as it was gray and darkish when I shot it. There was also a nice little fireball at the muzzle when I shot, which took me a little by surprise. The grip is also pretty aggressive and won't slip when wet. The grip, with the magazine inserted, fills the hand with no dangling pinky. That is something that bugs me a bit, dangling my pinky. I like a hand-filling grip.
My MIL just got a PT-22 and loves it. She has arthritis so she can't rack the slide on many pistols so the tip-up barrel was the best solution. I know, .22lr is far from the ideal SD caliber but she can shoot this really well. She can put 9 rounds into a fist-sized group rapidly from about 7 yards so that will make any aggressor think twice at least. And if she puts those 9 rounds into the face, well...game over. I fired it as well and liked it a lot. It filled my hand with no dangling pinky.
That should give you a bit of reason for my "fandom" of Taurus pistols. I am just going by the experience that I and those I know have had. Sorry for being so long-winded, but I apparently just wanted or needed to get that out there. Taurus gets a bad rap and I don't think it is wholly deserved. They did have some CS issues a while back but I think those were resolved.

Reactions: AaronW
#17 ·
Linda bought me a 905 for my birthday a couple years back- the short-cylinder 9mm j-frame. Fit and finish is excellent, the trigger is good and it's nice to shoot. Compared side-by-side with current production S&Ws there's not much to choose between them. Whether it will last is another question... but after a few hundred rounds it's been great.

#20 ·
I had a model 85 .38 Special for a few years, but when I finally decided that I was never going to carry it, I traded it off. Zero problems, though I don't have any guess how many rounds I fired.

I believe that Heritage revolvers are Taurus guns now. I just bought one yesterday on a whim; it was only $118 out the door. Through three cylinders this evening, it worked as it should.

So both of my experiences have been positive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.