Taurus Security Key

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by hstout1143, Mar 21, 2012.

1. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

I just picked up a Taurus semi auto, it's a beautiful firearm. The problem is I took it to the range and it wouldn't fire. I can chamber a round, eject the round. I pull the trigger and it works and leaves a small dimple in the primer but not enough to fire the round and I was wondering if that may be because of the Taurus security system. I've field striped it and given it a thorough cleaning and it does the same thing. Any ideas on what to try next? I read that some Taurus's have a security lock on them, I've never heard of such a system, could it be the reason?
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Which pistol is it?
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

The gun comes with a little key that will lock either the trigger or the slide. I doubt thats the problem. If the lock is engaged, the gun wont function. It wont hurt to check it though. And again, what gun is it?
  4. H-D

H-D Active Member

On the pt1911 the key is in the hammer, it won't cock or fire because the hammer will not move, also cannot rack the slide, on a pt92 its in the grip frame and I have no idea what it does, but theeasy way to check is turn the security lock and see of it shoots , depending on the pistol design I would clean the firing pin, and channel and spring and check for burrs or a broken spring
  5. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I should have said what kind it is. It's a 9mm PT99 AF.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  6. H-D

H-D Active Member

take a picture of the backstrap, it looks like an older one and may not have the security key
    like this
    [​IMG]
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I dont think that gun has a security key but I could be wrong. I would take the firing pin out and like someone already said, check the spring and pin.
  8. Burbank

Burbank New Member

IMO The security key is not what is causing this problem. Sounds like a faulty firing pin. Send your weapon back for inspection if you are not comfortable with the firing pin mechanism.

Sorry to hear you are having this potentially dangerous and frustrating issue. Hope you get it resolved.
  9. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

If it's a used gun it could just be a dirty firing pin hole. Some firing pins are tapered to the hole, this allows grunge to compact at the hole and damp the firing pins impact.
    One quick fix I've used when I ran a range was to blast the firing pin channel out using either the Hoppes blast and shine or Non-chloranated brake cleaner with the extension tube. Use caution, and wear safety glasses.
    Improper cleaning technique is usually the culprit.
  10. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

^^^ agree with al45lc.
    It may just need took down and give that beast a GOOD cleaning.