Taurus Thunderbolt in 45LC (Colt Lightning clone)

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by LDBennett, Sep 21, 2006.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The gun store called yesterday and it finally came in. It took two stores and 20 months from seeing it at the SHOT Show of 2005.

The bad news is the gun store is 50 miles away in the heart of Orange County (outside Los Angeles) and I can not get down there to start the paperwork until next Wednesday. Rats!!!! But its here!!!!

LDBennett
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Great news, LD! Be sure to give us a report when you finally get it. :)
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

They are great lookin guns make sure you get the tang sight it aint but like $30 from Taurus
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  4. LDBennett

I visited it at the gun store yesterday and put the money on it. Now I have to wait for the CA paper work to clear (10 days).

The bluing is almost dark black. The stock is very dark walnut (??) and actually has figuring in it. Of course it is covered in oil smears and needs a good cleaning before shooting it but that will have to wait until it comes home.

In short, it looks as good as it did in 2005 at the SHOT Show where I first saw it. Hope it shoots well! I hope the 20 month wait was worth it.

LDBennett
  5. lead

lead Well-Known Member

I saw one of these at the last gun show here. It was the only one at the show and no one had bought it. It was at a table against the back wall so, people might have missed it.
    Give us a report when you get to shoot it.
  6. LDBennett

OK. Got it home. The bluing looked dull and the stock satin. I got out the cleaning gear, cleaned the bore, cleaned all the metal surfaces with a gun cleaning solution (not bore cleaner but OTIS cleaning/lubricating solution) and then wiped it down with a silicon cloth. Blued metal is now deep black, shines, and looks deep. The stock livened up too with the application of the silicon cloth. The gun looks great! The trigger is only slightly heavy with no creep and is crisp! They must not fear lawyers in Brazil.

What I found interesting was the box was marked with printed on "Taurus" logos and numbers as you would expect but it also had stickers on the box and literature inside (along with the Taurus literature) for EMF. Is EMF now associated with distribution of Taurus guns? In the past EMF (at least the one I am aware of in Southen California) imported Italian cowboy guns from Uberti and others. What is their current relationship to Taurus?????

Now to just get the time and weather to shoot it at the range. This week is out but maybe next week. I need to shoot my Charles Daly Hi Power with the new match barrel too. And of course there are many other partially complete projects that need more range time. Too many things to do and not enough time and I'm retired!

More to come!

LDBennett
  7. Vermonter

Vermonter New Member

Congratulations LD. Sounds like a fine addition to your collection. Don't know the answer about EMF though. Sorry
  8. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

LD, I for one would like to know how it shoots and most of all how you like the way it shoots. There is a company here in Texas that builds these (Cimmaron Arms) I believe. They make two pistols, two Winchester style rifles and the Lightning. The rifles are a thing of beauty with charcol case color and rich bluing.....the wood is excellent. Of course when I inquire about the price I may drop dead, but maybe not.

LTS
  9. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

10. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

To tell the truth I`m really liking that big bore lever gun.........guess I`ll go back to the corner and hold my breath.

LTS
  11. Goody

Goody Member

Actually Cimmaron is an importer, primarily of clones made by Uberti in Italy. They do have many fine weapons, but there are other sources. As far as the Big Bore goes, are you looking at the 76 Winchester copy? Last I heard there was another delay on the Uberti model, pushing these back until next spring(maybe).

There is a gun that is on the market already, made by Chapparral Arms. This is a German company, building rifles from parts sourced in Italy and other places. They are imported through Charter2000, the parent company of Charter Arms. Although the SRP is around 1200, they can be had for substantially less. I have seen them for around 800, a real bargain if you compare to an original. They shoot well too, I know several who have them and are very pleased. There are companies bringing to market proper brass, with proper headstamps, dies are being produced by Lee and others. They are being produced in 4(I think) original calibers. The company is also producing 73 replicas as well, with the 38-40 already out.
  12. LDBennett

Took the Taurus ThunderBolt to the range today with mixed results (ammo relate, is my guess).

Fired about 100 shots of reloads. The accuracy was as good as any Wnchester or Winchester clone lever gun that I have. That is, sub 4 inch groups at 50 yds, not done scientifically but just shooting off a front rest and various numbers of shot groups. The accuracy is good!

The action works good and the trigger break is very crisp. It is not light but is very acceptable and does not get in the way of accurate shooting for a gun of this type (cowboy rifle).

The problem I had was reliable feeding of ammo out of the cartridge tube onto the the carrier. It falied about 30% of the time. The ammo was reloads using two different bullet and two different powders.

The first was Hornady 250gr XTP bullets and 16 grains of Hodgdon 4227. This is a really light load I developed for the weak toggle action of my Win 1873 Italian clone. This load took a tremendous hold over of the sights (more on the sights later) but shot accurately. The XTP bullet was not made to feed through guns of this type and is really a handgun bullet. It does work fine in the 1873.

The second load was a Rainier Restrike copper plated 250 gr handgun bullet loaded over 7.1 gr of Win 231. This is a near max cowboy load but light none the same, developed for my Colt clone single action revolver. It is missing a crimp groove for crimping and a couple of bullets did push into the cases after travelling through the loading tube of the gun.

I am going to change over to a real cowboy bullet with a crimp groove and will develope a light load for this reportedly weak action gun. No need to break it trying to make it into something it is not. Cowboy loads are plenty fast enough!

The sights are difficult to use as the rear notch is nearly invisible. The rear notch is way too small. I'll fix that with a file or maybe I'll search out those Taurus peep sights.

All in all I'm happy with my Taurus ThunderBolt. It was worth the wait of 20 months. The price is right. The gun is accurate. The trigger pull is crisp. The look is great. The handling excellent. This was a good purchase and will be even better once I feed it the right ammo.

LDBennett
  13. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Glad you're happy LDB. I'm looking to by one of the Winchester 22 pump clones. Happy shooting and thanks for the great write up.

IPT