Taurus Thunderbolt pump rifle(Colt Lightning copy)?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by LDBennett, May 21, 2005.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Taurus showed us their version of the Colt Lightning (they call it the the Thunderbolt) pump rilfe at the SHOT show with no release date. TheGunSource. com is pre-selling them (I have one on order-blue,45LC) and the latest Taurus web site says third quarter for release. That starts June 1. Anyone got more definitive data for the release of the first ones or heard any hard fact news about them? I am getting anxious!

LDBennett
  2. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Yes, it is a modern version (you notice I didn't say copy) of the Colt Lightning. It should become quite popular in Cowboy Action shooting.

FYI - like all pistol-caliber rifles of that era, the .45 Colt is was never actually chambered in it. Just thought I'd mention that.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Yea, I knew it was not a copy (and probably a good thing as the Lighning was not know for strength or reliability). But it sure looked the part and the one I saw at the SHOT show was well finished. I knew that 45LC is not a "correct" cartridge but being 45 LC I'll be able to use my downloaded Uberti Model73 loads. The choices were 357 or 45LC and a little push from a 45 LC is preferred to the crack of the 357, at least for me. Besides my real Winchester Model 92 is in 357 (changed to 357 by others long before I got it, and re-blued at the same time-looks great but not much of a collector gun).

Can't wait to get the Thunderbolt. My daughter has their 22 pump and it is a real nicely finished gun that is accurate to boot. Taurus bought Rossi a few years ago and took over the Rossi version of the 22 pump. I had the Rossi version for awhile and my daughter's Taurus is much nicer.

LDBennett