Taxes on guns?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Willie, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Willie

Willie Active Member

We have a employee that works in the office and her husband is in the Coast Guard. She says her husband had a general quarters meeting at the Guard saying that this year they have to list all guns and pay tax on thier tax forms for 2010. I see no reason for her to lie and or be confused about this. Has anyone heard that this bill is law now or are they just hoping? I know that this has been discussed but I thought it would never be passed. I did read a book by Boston T. Party that said the state is always looking for new customers(prisoners) and will do anything to justify thier jobs. If this is really happening I guess there will be lots of new criminals for them to choose from. Please tell me this is not true!
    Willie
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

It's not true:
    NRA Statement about SB-2099

·11250 Waples Mill Road · Fairfax, Virginia 22030 ·800-392-8683

Clearing Up the Rumors: The Truth About The "Gun Tax Bill"

Friday, August 14, 2009 Over the past few months, NRA-ILA has received hundreds of e-mails warning us about "SB-2099," a bill that would supposedly require you to report all your guns on your income tax return every April 15.

Like many rumors, there's just a grain of truth to this one. Someone's recycling an old alert, which wasn't even very accurate when it was new.

There actually was a U.S. Senate bill with that number that would have taxed handguns -- nine years ago. It was introduced by anti-gun Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.), and it would have included handguns under the National Firearms Act's tax and registration scheme. This has nothing to do with anyone's Form 1040, of course.

Fortunately, S. 2099 disappeared without any action by the Senate, back when Bill Clinton was still in the White House. We reported about it back then, just as we report about new anti-gun bills every week. Now, it's time for gun owners to drop this old distraction and focus on the real threats at hand.

To read a story by NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox on this and other rumors, please click here.

Find this item at: http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5098
  3. topper

topper New Member

Sad to say, but someday it will become a reality. Hopefully not in my lifetime. The whiney liberals want to control everything we think, say, do and own. If we americans would just rally enough to take back our out of control government, then we could put a stop to this madness. This very proposal of taxing our guns show that the government is getting scared of what could happen so they want complete control. Write your congresscritter and demand a stop to the insane regulations on guns. When the 2nd admendment is gone, then we become slaves.
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

"Sad to say, but someday it will become a reality."...

I THINK YOUR RIGHT ABOUT THAT!
  5. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

That would be a form of registration and that is where I draw a line in the sand. Agreed, that rumor has been flying around for years, especially as you get close to tax time.

The government run healthcare which for now seems to be DOA was what I feared the most as a control on firearms. I thought there could be a healthcare surcharge for every firearm each year. Once established it is easy to increase it everytime there is a whacko shooting someone.

Lets see what is next? Do they contribute to Global Warming.
  6. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Not if the people will stand up and band together and stop it. This admin. is considering the UN arms treaty which would really mean gun control. It would be complete and total "political suicide" and will cause the greatest revolution this world has ever seen.
  7. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

+1 ;)

The scary thing, IMHO, is how someone reads it on the internet, & somewhere down the road it somehow becomes true. Point in fact: the USCG NCO putting out something they read somewhere @ the general quarters meeting. It used to happen once in a while when I was on shore duty in the Navy.

Not that we would ever let it happen...... ;)

SR
  8. Willie

Willie Active Member

That is what got my attention. I have heard rumors before but when I heard it was told at a meeting by military persons I became more than a little concerned. Glad to know they can screw up too. But I wonder if this is a way to condition us into believing that this law is inevitable. It is a insidious way to control weapons. I guess I should not be surprised at anything this govt tries to do to us. In the land of the free.........
  9. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

We just need to keep it that way. ;)

SR
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That story has been making the rounds for at least 25 years, the internet just let it spread wider and faster. Not true in 1975 and not true in 2010.

Jim
  11. topper

topper New Member

It is up to the PEOPLE of this nation to see to it that taxes on guns never happen. "The people should control and support the government, NOT the government controlling and supporting the people". As said many times, write, call, email your congresscritter and DEMAND less gun control, DO IT NOW.
  12. Willie

Willie Active Member

If I remember right,taxes was the route chosen to eliminate full auto guns to the public. I read that in 1928 or so you could buy a full auto Thompson for 125.00 from the Sears catalog. Then FDR changed everything and added a tax on all autos and that is how control started here. Even now is it not a tax issue with full auto licenses? Also dope? They make it illegal but can't enforce it so they make dealers buy a tax stamp for an illegal business? Like dealers pay any taxes anyway and also pay attention to gun laws! Hah!