TC Contender hammer won't cock back

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by xp100shooter, Oct 18, 2008.

1. xp100shooter

xp100shooter New Member

I bought a used 14" 7-30 Waters barrel and put it on my G2 frame and now the hammer won't cock back. I compared it to my other barrels and it looks the same.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I'm not sure this has anything to do with anything but through the years there were differences between the locking bolts on the various frame/barrel combinations. We are actually on the third version of the Contender, that I know about, with the G2. The first version, I believe, had a one piece locking bolt on the barrel. The next version (mines's from the 1980's) had a two piece locking bolt on the barrel. At one point TC would modify older barrels to the "new" configuration.

Could it be that the the locking bolt is the wrong one (early barrel) and the gun won't completely close and that is keeping the sear/hammer from working correctly?

LDBennett
  3. xp100shooter

xp100shooter New Member

I swapped out the locking bolt from one of my other barrels and it still didn't work. I know some of the older locking bolts didn't have the bevel on the bottom of the bolt, and TC was sending those parts out if you requested it.
  4. G2Wolf

G2Wolf New Member

I am having the same exact problem with my G2 frame. I bought the G2 frame and 41 mag barrel for deer hunting. I attached the barrel to the frame and it would not cock the hammer. I called TC Arms and they said I purchased an older barrel and it needed to be retrofitted for the new G2 frame. I sent it in to their service center and they did indeed retrofit the barrel for free. I did get it shipped back to me today, three weeks later, and it still does not cock the hammer. I have written them an email and am waiting for a reply. This is very frustrating considering the investment in the frame and barrel.