1. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    ok guys,i have a little problem.i can not get the clean out screw out of my hawken,there really isnt a problem with the gun other than i like to polish the touch hole in all my cap locks if possible.i chuck up a pipe cleaner in my drill and use a very fine polishing compound to polish inside the flash hole.i seem to get better ignition on the other cap locks that i have done this to.i have tried different penetrating oils to no avail.i am thinking of using a propane torch to try heat,what say? old semperfi
  2. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

It will work, just heat the metal around the screw not the screw itself but honestly I never saw a need to take one out.
  3. somedude

somedude New Member

i have always used automatic transmission fluid to use as a lube for stuff like that.
  4. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Try PB Blaster on it for 24 hours and then try to remove it. It is great stuff and has helped me get bolts and screws out I would have to cut out other wise. Once out, use some anti seize greese o the threads when you put it back in.
  5. cowboys1062

cowboys1062 New Member

I had the same problem with the cleanout screw on one of my TC Hawkens and ended up buggering the head of the screw real bad and could not get it out at all. Called TC and was told to send the barrel in to them and they got the seized screw out and a new one back in. I now use a anti seize lube on the threads on my nipples and cleanout screws on all of my blackpowder guns. I use Birchwood Casey Choke Tube Lube. Can get it from Track Of The Wolf.

6. Pyro&Black

Pyro&Black New Member

Cleanout screws are important to some of us. There is a faction of percussion users that do not prescribe to water flushes / baths. No water (rust's #1 friend) enters my barrel.

I always use a small tube of choke tube lube on my cleanout screw threads and I never overtighten that screw. I do the same with the nipple threads. Had to resort to lube during a several year period where I used 777 FFF..... a hot powder known to seize breechplugs with inlines.