1. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i have a tc renegade in 50 cal,cap lock.my problem is this.when i go to half cock i cannot get capper far enough in to cap.i called tc and was told this is normal.i know i have had tc hawkins that you could.any info helpful old semperfi
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

yes the hawkins does have enough clearance as stated

but the only renegade i have seen ( not common here) was like you state and was told the same when i called

and when i pulled it apart to check it it seems right, the mech sits a lot lower eh..

i was going to take a extended look at it but the guy accepted it and left and i did not explore options like a custom hammer or a relocated sear

although i think it was possible from my look it was 5 months ago and cannot honestly say for sure now

hope you are able to get a better answer

but take a look at the hammer connector i'm pretty sure theres enough clearence to put in a mid stop ( second half cock position) but get a good smith to advise you eh, i'm going from memory only and thats getting iffy at best

cheers and enjoy either way

jack
  3. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

It seems to be normal with Renegades. I have 2 of them, and just use a Ted Cash capper. It's holds a few caps in a thin "box" for lack of a better word, and you can get it in under the hammer easily. I have big hands, and I couldn't cap these rifles easily any other way. I never felt good about going to full cock, capping and then lowering the hammer to half cock.