TC S&W BUYOUT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jake, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Jake

Jake Member

I've heard that Thompson center bought out Smith & Wesson and vice versa. Can someone line me out on which is true?:confused:
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Smith & Wesson Sold
    May 16, 2001 12:00 PM

Scottsdale, AZ--Saf-T-Hammer, a gun safety equipment manufacturer, has acquired $112 million gun manufacturer/marketer Smith & Wesson. Saf-T-Hammer acquired the 149-year-old gun maker from a unit of Britain’s Tomkins Plc for $15 million—significantly less than $112 million Tomkins paid for Smith & Wesson in 1987. As a result of the acquisition, Saf-T-Hammer will seek shareholder approval to change its corporate name to Smith & Wesson Holding Corp.
  3. rjjrwi

rjjrwi New Member

yes it true and is suppose to be a good thing
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Hope they don't go the way they did when Bangor Punta bought them
  5. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I agree with 22WRF. The quality of the Bangor Punta guns was awful. I saw one brand new revolver that would not cock because the hammer got in a bind before reaching full cock.
  6. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Exactly why I've never owned one. Uncertain quality & uncertain corporate future.

Just my personal opinion, ya know.
  7. Don Buckbee

Don Buckbee New Member

S&W bought Thompson Center about a year ago.
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

berto64:

If you have never owned a S&W you have missed out on owning one of the best revolvers ever manufacutered. Rather than the utilitarian Rugers or the Taurus's with less than perfect fit and finish or the extremely expensive and touchy operating Colts, you would have gotten a beautiful, accurate, well finished gun. The stories of poor inconsistent quality at S&W are very exaggerated. Indeed there was a time when the revolvers seem to miss some of the final cleanup steps but once thoroughly cleaned mine from that era shot well, had an excellent trigger, and displayed excellent fit and finish. The more recent gun I bought within the last five years was absolutely excellent and is my first choice when it is revolver time at the range.

Too bad you missed this experience!

LDBennett
  9. Don Buckbee

Don Buckbee New Member

LD,

Agreement!
    Smith's ruled the revolver world for years, from the K-22 to the Model 29 in Dirty Harry.
    The father of my high school hunting buddy had a K-22 with a 6" barrel that I just LOVED shooting back then. The year: 1949.
    And, in the semi auto world, their Model 41 reigns supreme.

Don