Teaching "ebonics" in elementary schools

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by jack404, Jul 28, 2012.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

2. skullfr

skullfr New Member

Our education system is a joke.This is exactly why me an my ex homeschooled.At least we could be sure of a proper education.I would highly recommend homeschool if you cant afford a proper school.It is alot of work but the youth are worth investing in proper education.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i was a single father in the army here

daughters where turning into tomboys so i sent them to Presbertyian Ladies College

( boarding school )

Cost a Bomb but they got taught right ... good school skills , good basis biblical education , and a great Christian fellowship and plenty of events for them

if you cant give them a decent education at home ( many reasons) Church schools ( most ) are great

some yeeeeesh stay away , look hard first ... ;)
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I don't believe it. There is a lot of weird crap going on out there, but that one I don't believe.

EDIT - READ POST #23
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  5. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I had no problem watching her or understanding her. Nice young lady indeed.

Here are a list of words I wrote down with meanings (when possible) in case some cant watch the vid.

Hella - alot of good
    Grip - ?
    dope -?
    yo - Yo is a word, I guess it must mean HAY YOU!
    chedder - Nope not cheese, it means money
    hoopty - ? the girl knew but didn't tell us.
    Killit - Yes (kill it) is now one word and i dont know what it means
    stepoff - ? I can only guess this has something to do with cutting drugs
    steelo - Attitude and confidence.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yo is a word. Means "I" in Spanish.

Yo no soy "gringo". Yo soy "Anglo".
  7. skullfr

skullfr New Member

The thing is that a public school is teaching ghetto language instead of proper grammar
  8. cutter

cutter New Member

If I had young children they would be home schooled or in a decent private school I wouldn't be buying any new toys so we could pay for it. It is a travisty how the public schools are dunbing down the kids!! I would have a hard time passing tests that were used 100 years ago in the eight or ninth grades.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

As I said - I don't believe it.

Just 'cause it's on the internet don't mean it's so.

Just 'cause it's on "Live Leak" don't mean it's so.

There was one, couple of days ago. "The Brits are demanding their guns back". Live Leak said it happened on the 22 of July, 2012. They weren't demanding their guns back. They were demanding that Prime Minister Tony Blair (who went out of office in 2007) not pass his fox-hunting ban (which went into effect in 2004). But I was seeing that in several places. "The British are demanding their guns back. Will we?"

EDIT - READ POST #23
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Who dat callin' my name when I say who dat?
  11. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Good luck with this. When they go to apply for a job and talk like this, who is going to hire them?
  12. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

13. Awtoman

Awtoman Active Member

I too tend to be skeptical of anything on the internet, even if it is something I agree with.
    However, I found this.....it at least implies to me that the original video and "flashcards", are a very likely probability. Unfortunately.

Tom

By Emily Hacala

In 1996, the Oakland School Board in California passed a resolution that recognized "Ebonics," or African American Vernacular English, as a legitimate language deserving of some instruction in school. The resolution stated that, "African language systems are genetically based and not a dialect of English..." and therefore it must be acknowledged that "the English language acquisition and improvement skills of African-American students are as fundamental as is application of bilingual education principles for others whose primary languages are other than English" (Resolution p. 1). In this way, the Oakland "Ebonics" Resolution was framed as a means of providing an educational tool to bridge the gap between AAVE and Standard English. In order for this to be effective, however, AAVE had to be accepted as a legitimate language (like those that would qualify for English as a Second Language education) and not as a bastardized or slang form of English as it is often portrayed in the media.

The Oakland Resolution emerged as a response to shockingly low grade averages and attendance/graduation records amongst African-American students in the school district. The school board's reasoning was that the language of these students "should not be stigmatized, and that this language should be affirmed, maintained, and used to help African-American children acquire fluency in the standard code" (Perry p. 1). By doing this, the use of "Ebonics" as a tool for school instruction was portrayed as similar to the ESL and bilingual education programs, in which non-native speakers of English are instructed in a combination of their primary languages and English, in hopes of eventually shifting to solely Standard English. Unfortunately, however, many people interpreted this to mean that teachers would be instructing their students only in AAVE, thereby abandoning the use of Standard English in classrooms (even though this was most certainly not the intent of the resolution).

Perhaps one of the biggest challenges for the Oakland "Ebonics" resolution was that it required people to view African American Vernacular English as a legitimate language and not simply a slang dialect of Standard "white" English. The difference between a dialect and a language is primarily an issue of
    legitimacy; linguists often (somewhat jokingly) describe the difference by saying that "a language is a dialect with an army and a navy," because it has the power to establish itself politically, socially, and
    culturally as legitimate. Elaine Richardson, in her article "The Anti-Ebonics Movement," argues that this
    movement also deals with the legitimacy of the African-American person. She states that, "an overview of anti-Ebonics policies and legislation reveals more about America's problems with inherent racism and social control than our efforts to enhance the language and literacy education of African American students" (Richardson p. 167). Essentially, African American Vernacular English cannot be considered legitimate because "African Americans are not fully legitimate," (Richardson p. 158) and therefore lack the power fully establish their language as both distinct and valid.

The following video, Hooked on Ebonics, presents a mockery of "Hooked on Phonics," a program often used to teach young children legitimate English by using a variety of mediums to teach phonics, or letter-sound correlations. Hooked on Phonics will ideally teach children to speak Standard English, which they can then use to achieve success in school and eventually the workplace. Essentially, "students should work hard on acquiring the standard variety of English, and they will experience the benefits of democracy" (Richardson p. 160). In the Hooked on Ebonics video, the instructor, a white man who transforms into G. Dogg $$$ when he changes his speech from "white" English to "Ebonics," is teaching his students Ebonics because previously they didn't "get no respect" and he wants to help them "get some understanding." G. Dogg $$$ goes on to say that he wants his "youngstas to succeed in a white man's world," and that by ordering his Hooked on Ebonics program they will receive tapes and flashcards to teach them the language, as well as a pair of handcuffs and some "newfound self-respect." It is important to note that there is not a single native speaker of AAVE represented in this video (or, in fact, a single African-American person), which only serves to further perpetuate common misconceptions about the illegitimacy of AAVE as more of a slang or bastardized dialect of "white" English than a legitimate, distinct language.

The Oakland Ebonics Resolution was often very misrepresented in the media, as can be seen in the Hooked on Ebonics video. Theresa Perry's article, "I'on Know why They be Trippin," points out that "with few exceptions, mainstream media presented the Oakland resolution as a decision by the school board to abandon the teaching of Standard English and in its stead to teach Black Language/Ebonics," (Perry p. 2) despite the fact that this was very much not the intention of the resolution. However, this misunderstanding caused great controversy because AAVE was seen as a type of slang, not appropriate for school context. Even though linguists have argued that AAVE is actually a very much rule-defined language (ie. copula deletion, habitual "be"), it was still equated with an informal type of slang, which therefore rendered it illegitimate.

Only a month after the Oakland resolution was published, an amended resolution was released in response to the controversy that emerged from the misunderstanding that Standard English would be abandoned in favor of "Ebonics" for students in the Oakland school district. The amended resolution retracted the statements implying that African-Americans have a biological predisposition towards speaking "Ebonics" (even though technically the resolution was referring to linguistic, rather than biological, genetics), and replaced this with statements that established "Ebonics" as having historical African roots and not simply as a dialect of Standard English. However, the legitimacy of "Ebonics" remains a highly controversial and debated issue to this day. Richardson concludes that in the United States, "the general tendency is toward monolingual and anti-multicultural language and literacy education. This position implies that Black people have no linguistic culture worth incorporating into the classroom" (Richardson p. 167).
  14. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

This reminds me of the movie "Airplane" where the two black men were talking "Jive" and the elderly white woman was translating. That was funny but it was a spoof. This is just stupid. You live in this country, You learn to speak English.:mad:
  15. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

The more I think about this the madder I get. I don't see schools in Kentucky or Tennesee teaching "hillbillyonics" or So. California Schools teaching "Valleyonics. " Perhaps if I moved to Texas my child would be taught "Cowboyonics." I give up. Holy ##it where's the asspurn ?