The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tear gas colt industries 38 caliper tear gas pen

22K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  jack404 
#1 ·
My father passed and I found these flares and pen gun. I have no clue how old they are and if there worth anything? Could anyone help me out recondition where to sell? Thanks so much in advance.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
its a US law preventing export , flares where added recently ( they'd lock you up for sending it and me as a accomplice )

you can sell it to anyone in the US as usual

I'm in Australia and the UN screws me over often on such things so now i check

i am interested but i'll have to find one here like a few things eh .. and why i say constantly the UN sucks ..

they made about 20,000 but many where exported about 1000 came here but many have been tossed or rusted to heck from no care or put away unprotected

but as stated the auction for another was lively it had a estimated sale of $ $250-$350 before auction and it went past that so they bring way more than book price
currently

and flares are still available for them ..

find a reputable gun trader who gets a lot of folks into their auctions and put on $300 reserve but expect to pay 15-%-20% fee's

#5 · (Edited)
a gent on another forum bought one for $40 last year , sold it 3 weeks later for $320 cash to another gent google $40 colt gas flare pen it'll be top 5 ;) with the change in politics and environment ( if you get my drift ) these as they can get flares and gas shells still , have become a must have for some folks , they've gone up a avg of $100 in a few months .. and places have sold out of shells for them for the first time and ordering more ..

#6 ·
its a US law preventing export , flares where added recently ( they'd lock you up for sending it and me as a accomplice )

you can sell it to anyone in the US as usual

I'm in Australia and the UN screws me over often on such things so now i check

i am interested but i'll have to find one here like a few things eh .. and why i say constantly the UN sucks ..

they made about 20,000 but many where exported about 1000 came here but many have been tossed or rusted to heck from no care or put away unprotected

but as stated the auction for another was lively it had a estimated sale of $ $250-$350 before auction and it went past that so they bring way more than book price
currently

and flares are still available for them ..

find a reputable gun trader who gets a lot of folks into their auctions and put on $300 reserve but expect to pay 15-%-20% fee's
Where would I find a reputable gun dealer? That's not gonna try and take advantage of me cause idk anything about it. Do you have one you could recommend? And what should I ask and except for all the flare stuff I have as far as price range?

#9 ·
Colt made these back in the late 60's. They fire tear gas (CS), flares, and there was also an adapter to chamber a small caliber round for single shot use. I see them for sale in their original kit packaging for between $150-$250 all the time. Be aware however that in the US they are classified by the BATFE as an AOW (Any Other Weapon) and have to be transferred on an ATF form 4 with a $5 tax stamp paid. If you sell it you need to follow the BATFE rules on the transfer of an AOW. This means that you cannot physically transfer it to the buyer until after the BATFE stamp paperwork comes back to you if you want to stay legal. Most people are not aware of the fact that they are classified as an AOW and do not perform the required transfer, they are pushing their luck. I personally follow all the rules since BATFE doesn't play games if you get caught.

#12 · (Edited)
Colt didn't make those pens, it only marketed them. IIRC, they were actually made by Lake Erie Chemical Co. (which was owned at one time by S&W). They are NOT illegal or an AOW under Federal law (they may be illegal under some state or local laws) because they do not fire a conventional cartridge. The gas is contained in the "cartridge" that screws into the front of the gun. A regular bulleted cartridge cannot be fired without re-manufacturing the pen.

The two red cartridges are flares, which could be used for signalling in distress.

P.S. Any attempt to re-manufacture that gun to fire a cartridge, legality aside, would lead to disaster, since the gadget would not stand up to the pressure of a live round, and they have no breech block, so the blowback would wreck the gun and seriously injure the user.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.