Technical Question for the S&W 44 owners

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by mesinge2, Sep 13, 2010.

1. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

I tired a match book cover. It would not fit.
    So I tried a sheet of copy paper after I looked up online that copy paper is 0.004 of an inch.
    It fit one piece of paper. Then I tried two pieces at the same time and it was a no go.
    In my wierd experiment it must be between than 0.004 and 0.008 of an inch wide.
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    good idea,take it to a good gunsmith.i still think you may have a cylinder clearance problem,nothing else could do it,and yes,gases can cut into the cylinder.i have had two 686 smiths and i run 10,000 rounds thru them before i retime,clean,and sell them.i am now on my third.the normal shooter will probably not ever shoot that much thru a pistol to notice problems. old semperfi
  3. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

The gunsmith told me that I should contact Smith & Wesson and send it to them for a repair service.
    The problem is the front screw for the rear sight had a bur that was contacting the cylinder during rotation.
    The screw no longer has the bur. It must have been shaved off during firing.
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i'd definitely contact smith and wesson and send it in. try to get them to pay shipping both ways. if you cannot get them to pay shipping both ways, i would suggest sending it ground ups or fedex. i cannot go through the post office unless you have an FFL. the law does not mandate that the goes next day air through ups/fedex, it is only their private policy so you can just send it ground, unless they xray it or open it then you'll be fine. if they do find the gun they will return the package to you. and do insure it.