Technical question re: old load handgun kept in storage

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Cyn71, Aug 11, 2012.

1. olafhardt

olafhardt New Member

Please don't have the guy click the safety off the revolver. Very few had safeties. Lots of serious shooters change out their defensive ammo to avoid this. Wild Bill Hickok is said to have changed his out daily.
  2. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

I agree, it would seem lame for a 50 or 60 year old revolver that was stored loaded to only be partially loaded. In a tense situation and if I was in that situation I'd pull the trigger and hope it went bang. If it went click and I still had time I'd try again and again. Then if it hadn't gone bang while I still had time to try for a plan B I'd throw the gun at his face and run like hell.
  3. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

and definitely make it a revolver - not a semi auto. Too many different safety options for a semi auto and your hero would need to a) drop the clip out to see if it had bullets and b) pull the slide back to find out if there's a round in the chamber. Lot of time used up there.
  4. Cyn71

Cyn71 New Member

It's kind of funny you said this, because that's actually how I've got part of the scene written. LOL After the first unsuccessful attempt to fire, the gun is then used as a club.
  5. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

An unloaded or a fail to fire gun is referred to as a hammer, or club.
  6. kingcuke

kingcuke Member

The scenario presents itself where the known gun was used x number of times prior to be hidden/stored. The character quickly checks to see if the revolver is loaded, but doesn't notice some of the cartridges have been fired. The act of opening the revolver places however many used cartridges required, up to 5, before the final fatal shot
  7. circa1885

circa1885 New Member

to CYN71: Congratulations on getting correct information from people who know guns in writing a novel. I read a lot of novels in which guns play a part in one way or another and nothing burns my behind more than an author who publishes total crap relating to guns and their use. It is so easy to go to the source and these guys are proud and happy to lead you down the straight and narrow concerning firearms.