Ted Williams lever action 30-30

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by texaskamper, Mar 4, 2013.

1. texaskamper

texaskamper New Member

If this is an old topic I'm sorry, I looked at several 'pages' and didn't see what I needed.

I have a Ted Williams, Model 100 lever action 30-30 WInchester. I see that it is a Sears, Roebuck and Co. No. 273.532141. I've also found that the number is a Sears 'part' number, but the number I've seen (on line) is xxx.xxx140, and my number ends with xxxx141. Anybody know why the difference? The actual serial number on the action is V144761 any idea on the year of manufacture?

The gun is in very good condition, sorry not able to photograph, a little bit of wear on the loading plate, but the stock and foward grip is in fine condition, no rubs or gouges or dents.

Any body got a 'ball park' guess on its value?

Thanks in advance Larry
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

New Model 94 { made after 1964 }, To meet Sears price lines, different wood was used, less finish on exterior and internal parts, nothing that would create problems with operation of the firearm. A store brand gun will usually bring 15 to 20 per-cent less than the same gun with the manufactures name on it. Why the different numbers, don't know, Sears used at least 5 different suffixes on the same gun, could be nothing more than one came with a cleaning kit, another didn't and another came with a soft case and the other with a cardboard box. Or, it could be a secret code that was used in connection with the Kennedy assassination, don't have the foggiest and probably only the people at Sears would know:) Someone more current with values will have to give a guesstimate on value.
  3. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

OK, I'm a person at Sears, 30 years there. I have absolutely no information on the gun :( I can tell you that RJ is likely right on, that type of number sequence and that particular digit change to indicate an accessory package, or item color, are still used today.
  4. MisterEd

MisterEd New Member

I am no expert but I have always kept an eye on 'Department Store' brand gun values and they really don't seem to be going anywhere. I always thought it would be an interesting collecting endeavor but in reality they are not that easy to find and only show up occasionally. Probably not near as many out there as one might think.
  5. Fatstrat

Fatstrat Well-Known Member

Some have. Dept store versions of High Standard .22 pistols bring nearly as much as the real McCoy.
  6. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

If it had the Marlin brand on it the value in the condition you describe would be around $300. Yours would run about $240.